Truck Opinions

I'm tired of my got damd civic (aka "beer can") so I'm gonna sell it and dip off into a truck. I know at least 85% of the peeps on here have a pickup of some sort so I would like to hear some opinions. I would like to have a tacoma but I don't want to spend over 7500$ b/c I want to pay it off by the time I got to tech school in september. I don't care if it's ford/chevy, but I need a 4wd. For some reason lifted z71's just give me a chubby... anybody have a z71 in here?? What motor do you have in it?? What about the older moldel ford 4x4's... how's the power in them?? I won't be pulling over 10,000lbs. Sorry about the book.

Mike

ive got a 97' z-71 5.7l w/120,000 miles. i bought it new w/18 miles on it. it

has been pretty tough and dependable. ive had to replace the fuel pump

and water pump and thats about it. the transmission, in the 97 anyway, is

very good (according to consumer reports...what ever truck your looking at,

it wouldnt hurt to check consumer reports) i have had no trouble with it and it

still shifts just right. the torsion bar independent front suspension is not the

best for off road...but after market parts are endless and stock is great on

pavement. put a set of michelin AT's on there...never skimp on rubber.

i got an 02 z71 with the 5.3. it runs great and pretty quick. my bitch its too small of a motor to pull my dads horse trailer, which is kinda a lead sled. but other than that it great. gets about 17 mpg in the summer.13 in town

Not too bad of a truck. I am not a fan of IFS though. And the tranny in your '97 there 04LE is a 4L60E. It is the same tranny that is used behind a 4.3L motor in a S-10 :blink: . The V-8 tranny has more clutches in it though. Anyways, Z-71's are pretty dependable. On the Fords, stay away from any of them with the TTB (Twin Traction Beam). It is Ford's ridiculous attempt at IFS in the front of their F-150 and F-250. The 250 is compareable to about a Dana 30 in strength. Not too good in a 3/4 ton truck. I personally would never buy a pickup that is less than a 3/4 ton. And I would get an older Dodge with a Cummins..... Tough as nails!!!