Crank/bearings replacement

Hey guys, My banshee started making a growling sound last ride, you can hear it at idle and gets louder with rpm, definitely a bearing and my guess is one of the crank bearings are on the way out, as it’s a 2002 model and still has stock bearings.  And I’d like to fix the issue before it ruins something else.  I’m running a cheetah a cub 400 that I had kevin hurr do a mid range dune port on, running single 38mm carb, Paul turner mids, cool head, lockout,  and been using on stock crank for years with no issues. Really happy with my setup for the riding I do, and I’ve been really easy on the bike so the crank has never slipped out of phase, still runs great just has a growling noise.  years back when I put the cub 400 cylinder on I didn’t weld the crank either.  Still has great compression as well….   My question is, what is the best course of action here?  Replace the whole crank assembly,? or just do the crank bearings and weld my stock crank up?  what brand for aftermarket crank and bearings would you all recommend?   

I’ve had all kind of engines apart before but never my banshees (I have 2, one for the wife).  They always just work and never let me down so other then top end, I have been into the lower yet .  Is there a good how to teardown?   Or link to oem service manual.  

Looking to spend 500$ or so, all suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks for the help

To be honest….call a site sponsor and talk to them and get their opinion. I prefer Jeff at F.A.S.T. Racing. Don’t forget you’ll be needing case sealant and crank seals as well. Jeff has on his website that rebuilds of single cylinders start at $200…….

he also has hot rods stock stroke cranks listed at $480 that they verify true and weld at no charge before shipping to you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2024 at 2:45 AM, diebog said:

Hey guys, My banshee started making a growling sound last ride, you can hear it at idle and gets louder with rpm, definitely a bearing and my guess is one of the crank bearings are on the way out, as it’s a 2002 model and still has stock bearings.  And I’d like to fix the issue before it ruins something else.  I’m running a cheetah a cub 400 that I had kevin hurr do a mid range dune port on, running single 38mm carb, Paul turner mids, cool head, lockout,  and been using on stock crank for years with no issues. Really happy with my setup for the riding I do, and I’ve been really easy on the bike so the crank has never slipped out of phase, still runs great just has a growling noise.  years back when I put the cub 400 cylinder on I didn’t weld the crank either.  Still has great compression as well….   My question is, what is the best course of action here?  Replace the whole crank assembly,? or just do the crank bearings and weld my stock crank up?  what brand for aftermarket crank and bearings would you all recommend?   

I’ve had all kind of engines apart before but never my banshees (I have 2, one for the wife).  They always just work and never let me down so other then top end, I have been into the lower yet .  Is there a good how to teardown?   Or link to oem service manual.  

Looking to spend 500$ or so, all suggestions are appreciated teeth whitening near stoke on trent.  Thanks for the help

When considering crankshaft and bearings replacement in an engine, it's essential to address both performance and reliability concerns. The crankshaft is a critical component that converts the engine's reciprocating motion into rotational power. Over time, wear and tear on the crankshaft bearings can lead to increased friction, reduced efficiency, and potential engine damage if not addressed promptly. Replacing the crankshaft and bearings involves meticulous inspection, precise machining, and the use of high-quality parts to ensure proper alignment and smooth operation. This process not only restores engine performance but also enhances longevity, making it a crucial maintenance procedure for maintaining optimal engine health and efficiency.

12 hours ago, lengistonjorry said:

When considering crankshaft and bearings replacement in an engine, it's essential to address both performance and reliability concerns. The crankshaft is a critical component that converts the engine's reciprocating motion into rotational power. Over time, wear and tear on the crankshaft bearings can lead to increased friction, reduced efficiency, and potential engine damage if not addressed promptly. Replacing the crankshaft and bearings involves meticulous inspection, precise machining, and the use of high-quality parts to ensure proper alignment and smooth operation. This process not only restores engine performance but also enhances longevity, making it a crucial maintenance procedure for maintaining optimal engine health and efficiency.

These are 2 strokes man…..they’re sloppy, greasy and fun to ride. They’re not the damn space shuttle……

So because of age go with hot rods?   Why would that be better then oem?   Cost?    Just curious.   Also Does anyone have a parts list of seals/gaskets etc. so I can order it all and have it.  I hate finding I need a stupid seal and have to wait another week.   I’m sure you all been there.   

I know I asked this already , but just replacing the crank bearings is a no no?   I have a 20 ton press and bearing pullers (ones for ring and pinion bearings ).   I’m not going to go that way and cheap out, just curious why not if the main crank bearings are the issue.   I realize the rod bearings can’t be changed without a bunch of special tools and what not to get it back together.  But replacing the outer bearings seems doable.  I’ve got a not of money into my banshees and want them to work when I take the time off and drive 10 hours to go ride.  I’ll just get the hot rods.    As far as where to buy, who do ya all recommend?  One mentioned fast.   Are there any other good vendors?   I’m in Northern California.