Sand and a gold chain

On my last trip out last year I wound up is some very dry loose sand and dug the back tires in deep. During the process it dug up a piece of drift wood and it smacked the rear axle. Nothings bent but I’ve cleaned and lined the chain many times to be sure I got the sand out but since then I’ve had this odd issue when full throttle I get a very quick loss of power. It’s kind of a jerk feeling. Everything else seems pretty normal going up and down my street but at a loss where to begin outside the chain to cause this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like the bearings in the bearing carrier are starting to seize up from heat and probably a lack of lubricant and when it sits and cools off the problem goes away. You have to get grease gun and a couple tubes of grease that is made to be used for bearings. All purpose grease will not work because bearing grease can withstand the heat a lot better than all purpose grease. A unlubed chain can become stiff cause chain drag. You need to find a good chain lube that doesn’t attract the sand and your chain should be cleaned, inspected and lubed often. 

The bearings are free. I had it sitting all winter and I can get it on a stand and the rear axel spins free. 

I clean, wipe, and then lube the chain after every trip. 

Ok, I am on the same page that its the rear bearings. I pumped the carrier with grease and after a quick ride I see it leaking out the right side. When I dug into the sand I sure some got in causing the jerking\surging problem... On to a new adventure to try to find the right parts now!!