jetting issue, wont idle. help

fredshee

whats up guys, well I just recently bought new knockoff carbs that look identical to the stocks due to stock ones being trash, they kept pouring fuel inside the cylinders. anyways, I put them on and now the bike starts right up with choke on, but as soon as I take it off, the idle comes down and then just shuts off, I tried seting the idle higher but that doesn't work,  jetting is 27.5 pilot, 2 1/2 turns out on pilot screw and 320 mains. has 68 mm bore and a dune port I believe from a shop out of vegas( bought cylinders used)  any help is appreciated guys.

I don't understand how they pour fuel into the cylinders. Fuel is drawn into the cylinders by the air flow of the motor....piston going down. If the carb flows fuel from a float or needle issue, it should just overfill the bowl and run out the overflow onto the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be well served to install an inline fuel filter and ignore that you even have one in the tank.  I lost count of how many we worked on with sand in the tank.  Guys would just keep repeating carb cleans until they went insane.  Only when a fuel sample was pulled, did the real culprit show up.  

Also, If I remember correct, the Banshee has an Oring on the seat of the needle/seat valve.  You can clean her till the cows come home and it will never stop fuel if that Oring is toast.  

As to your idle issue, adjust the air screws.  It sounds lean at idle which can either be blocked pilots or air screw setting.  If you cannot find an air screw setting that will work, you likely have partially blocked pilots.  

Brandon

Mull Engineering

• Like 2

ok , do u think maybe the pilot is too small now that i have ported cylinders in there? i just test rode it and it runs great from felt like anything past 1/4- 3/8 throttle and if i let off the throttle, and the rpm wined down it wanted to shut off and had to stab the throttle couple times quickly to get it to come back up and not shut off. has brand new carbs and i looked at jets an were good, but i think u may be right about the fuel having sand in it. i have a inline filter i am gonna put on it for sure .

ok , do u think maybe the pilot is too small now that i have ported cylinders in there? i just test rode it and it runs great from felt like anything past 1/4- 3/8 throttle and if i let off the throttle, and the rpm wined down it wanted to shut off and had to stab the throttle couple times quickly to get it to come back up and not shut off. has brand new carbs and i looked at jets an were good, but i think u may be right about the fuel having sand in it. i have a inline filter i am gonna put on it for sure .

make sure carb balance (sync) is close by looking through windows on sides of carbs or checking visually AND your damn idle screws are set close side to side.  If you look in the back of the carbs at 0% throttle and see one slide much higher than the other, you will have problems.  

turn air screws IN to richen.  I would say go all the way to 1/4 turn right now and see what it does.  No, 27.5 is just fine for right now for idle and should idle fine on them.  If not, they are plugged.  

PS, I am making the assumption you have the TORS system unplugged?  That most certainly can allow the bike to run everywhere else but idle.  However, you mention it will idle with choke so I assume about the TORS because the bike would not care and would just shut off under about 1/8 throttle.  

starts right up and runs fairly good with choke on. not so good with choke off. theres your clue. my moneys on the pilots being to small. try some 30 or 32 in there and I bet it runs like a champ

airscrews do have a small affect but when your so far off that it wont run with the choke off, time to go up a notch on the pilot. my .02

ok guys I finally figured it out, it was a bent needle on one of the new carbs. put my old needles and reset idle and starts first kick . thank you guys for all the pointers, and I will be installing the inline filter this week for sure. thanks again for all ur guys input and responses, I really appreciate all the help