A Simple Queation Im Sure We All Wondered...

Dragg-on

It doesn't matter, they both fire at the same time. I'm sure someone smart can explain why (my feeble guess is that since there's only a single coil that leads straight to the plug leads, it has to; it would require a distributor or separate coils to fire the cylinders separately).

It doesn't matter, they both fire at the same time.  I'm sure someone smart can explain why (my feeble guess is that since there's only a single coil that leads straight to the plug leads, it has to; it would require a distributor or separate coils to fire the cylinders separately).

No flaming here at all but i thought that the pistons where opposite of each other? Meaning when one is up the other is down? So this would mean that they both cannot fire at the same time correct?

Your right, one is up while the other is down...but the plugs "spark" at the same time. When one is up, it fires while the other is down, I am unsure if its a useless spark, or it burns the left over (unburned) fuel....

Switching the plug wires has no effect of the performance, unless you gotsa bad spark plug wire or cap.

Your right, one is up while the other is down...but the plugs "spark" at the same time. When one is up, it fires while the other is down, I am unsure if its a useless spark, or it burns the left over (unburned) fuel....

Switching the plug wires has no effect of the performance, unless you gotsa bad spark plug wire or cap.

Yep, that's it. It really is a useless spark though. Any fuel mixture that would have gotten pulled in would be at the bottom of the stroke our hopefully out the exhaust if ported properly.

Also, the reason they spark at the same time is simplicity and cost. To have one pickup pick up a single directly from the flywheel that has a 1:1 ratio to the motor would require a distributor of some sort even if it had two coils to have the cylinders spark seperate. Two coils would be needed if the distributor were before the coil and one coil if the coil were in front of the distributor.

It's a simple motor and since a useless burn on a 180 deg phased motor it doesn't matter. I'd rather it be simple. Makes it easier and cheaper to repair.

because the engine is a "twin" the pistons more twice as fast as a single which we all no. becuase the banshee has such a high rev control its imposible to put a spark timer on the plugs. (e.g number 1 fires then 1/2 second later number 2 fires. the engine runs too quick for this therfore the plugs spark all the time

lol no it works suprisingly it does work the guy i bought it from took it to a friend of his who owns a bike shop and said that it wasnt running right so the guy tested the coil and said it was bad but hey i might be able to find something that will work and so he cut and spliced and now i have a piece of good old american power on my jap four wheeler ............kinda funny aint it :P