I Cant Get My Break Thing On My Rotor

Guest bansheeman654321

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when you guys bleed do you change your pad also? Not a necessity. Well, unless you want to keep the mess to a minumum. But, we are talking brakes here. All that happened is that the piston is too far away now and has to get back to the caliper. Pump the pedal, and all will be fine...

So when you guys bleed do you change your pad also? Not a necessity. Well, unless you want to keep the mess to a minumum. But, we are talking brakes here. All that happened is that the piston is too far away now and has to get back to the caliper. Pump the pedal, and all will be fine...

Ditto, unless you opened the system you just need to keep pumping and the piston will slowly move out to where it should be.

You guys are too much!!! BTW, I've tried everything under the sun and I could never get two new pads on at the same time. I usually just throw one pad on and ride it for the weekend, the pads wears just enough to get the second pad on....even w/ the piston all the way in, the edge of my caliper will hit the rotor, not the pad, so there isn't enough room to get a new pad on one side.......Is it just me??? I've heard the same thing from other shee owners also....so I take the easy route, but I'm curious to how the hell they do it from the factory..... :huh::blink::unsure:

I've not had any probs changing disk brake pads on the banshee or on cars. The trick on the banshee rear brake is to first loosen and back out the parking brake screw on the side of the caliper. The best bet would be to get rid of the parking brake altogether and put on a block off plate but I digress. Anyhow once you have the parking brake adjusted out or off, remove the caliper and take the old pads off. Take a C clamp and set it on the caliper so that the frame of the C is contacting the caliper side which holds the piston. You want the screw part of the clamp to go through the caliper so it rests squarely on the piston. Turn the screw slowly to force the piston back into the caliper. You need to have the piston edge flush with the surface of the caliper. Don't damage the seal or get the piston cocked in the piston bore. You may also have to take a little bit of brake fluid out of the reservoir. Watch the level in the reservoir as you push the piston into the caliper. Once that is done, you should have enough space between the pads once they are installed to fit the caliper between them. If not, you may have to remove the pads and press the piston in further. Take your time and don't force anything. Once you do this a couple of times it gets easier once you understand how it works. Pump the pedal a few times to get the piston out to where it needs to be and you are finished. The fronts work exactly the same but with out the parking brake. Don't be tempted to use channel lock pliers as the posibility of cocking the piston in it's bore and getting it stuck is great.

Wheatchex