What do you guys think

The 88-89 banshees have what they call a J arm front suspension set up. The bottom arm is an A arm. This banshee frame is a few pounds lighter than the A arm banshee frames. I own a J arm banshee with an aftermarket J arm set up. Its nice but would be easier to find suspension parts if you buy the A arm style banshee frame. Biggest thing would be to buy the one with a straight frame. I bought a j arm because it was close to my house and it started right up. Plus it came with extras. I like the A arm banshee and the yamaha blue plastics seal the deal. I consider mine unique and I've only seen one like mine in the red and gray plastics.

The 88-89 banshees have what they call a J arm front suspension set up. The bottom arm is an A arm. This banshee frame is a few pounds lighter than the A arm banshee frames. I own a J arm banshee with an aftermarket J arm set up. Its nice but would be easier to find suspension parts if you buy the A arm style banshee frame. Biggest thing would be to buy the one with a straight frame. I bought a j arm because it was close to my house and it started right up. Plus it came with extras. I like the A arm banshee and the yamaha blue plastics seal the deal. I consider mine unique and I've only seen one like mine in the red and gray plastics.

Sell me your gray tank cover and rad shroud! Love that color combo...always wanted one!

I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't buy either of them. Not enough aftermarket goodies. Look for a bike that has more money in aftermarket parts than the selling price of the bike, making the base bike FREE. Aftermarket wheels, tires, roundhouse swingarm, pipes, air filters, cool head, billet clutch basket, A arms, shocks, cosmetic billet goodies, etc. That way, even if you have to rebuild the motor, you're still money ahead. There's a gamble that you will have to rebuild the motor in ANY bike you buy. There are 2 good reasons not to buy a J arm bike. 1. As mentioned above, harder to get aftermarket arms for it. 2. Lower resale value, because of the "perception" that J arms are weaker than A arms. Granted, the J arm is a crappy design, but you have to hit a tree, rock, or wall, really hard to bend one.

Ya, the world would be perfect IF you could find a shee with all kinds of goodies, for cheep,  in the price range you can afford. J's get a bad rap because with the two bushings/bearings being closer together a little bit of wear seems like a lot out at the spindle. Bushings are cheap, just replace them more often, NBFD.

I think the 88 looks cleaner, and as mentioned the other doesn't have DG pipes, not that they would be much of an improvement.

A basic top&bottom rebuild will cost $8-900++