My suspension dilemma.

87twin350

So I'm wanting to get rid of the shitty stock J arms on my shee. The balljoints are pretty well shot, and I don't really want to trust them for another season.

So here's my question to my brothers in banshee arms. Which route?

A shop by me has a bent A arm frame for $90, which I could cut out the A arm mounts and weld in to my current frame. Then I could ditch the J arm setup all together, find some nice +2+1 arms and call it a day. Plus, I have all sorts of A arm options.

Fireball's +2+1 J arms are very nice looking, and they come powder coated already (getting ready to strip my frame down and have it PC'd). 

Or do I just go find a good frame and swap everything over? 

Of course, the underlying problem is, as always, money. I'm 25 years old, I've got a Southern California mortgage, a truck note, and an expensive girlfriend. :shootself:

Which way do you think I can do this suspension upgrade without dropping a grand into it? Should I just say fuck it and drop the money on the J arms and just leave it alone?

I would drop the money on the j-arms and be done with it.

Is buying a donor frame, hacking it all up and robbing parts for another frame you have to hack up worth it?

I fully agree with you, but will the +2+1 J arms by Fireball or Stellar hold up to recreational use? One or the other? 

Fireball.

• Like 1

1st, they're smokin crack if they think a bent frame is worth $90. IF you get title with it, it's worth no more than $50.

2nd, do you have a title for yours? If you do AND you are good at MIG or TIG welding AND you can get the A arm brackets for under $50, I would convert it. I have a J arm frame that I plan to convert. My plan is to make a flat bar with holes in it drilled the exact distance apart that the A arm brackets need to be apart from each other and bolt that on the back side of the A arm mounts from side to side with the A arm bolts going through the J arm mounts, with spacers between the rear J arm mounts and the rear A arm mounts. This will locate the A arm mounts in the correct location from the front mount and should locate the mounts correctly left to right. Weld it up and then cut off the rear J arm mounts.