Are these factory shocks?

dailydrifter

Hey guys i am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have been poking around the forum for a while because i just bought my first banshee and I have been trying to learn as much about this beast of a quad as I can. I have not been able to figure out though whether or not my 2003 shee special edition has factory shocks or are these aftermarket? I know some banshees came with ohlins but im not sure if mine was one of them. Also are these things worth reworking for my weight or are they not worth it?

Not very. They are super stiff so i know i can back off the spring pre load but the previous owner was a heavy set guy and im atleast 80lbs lighter so im thinking even if i back it all the way off it still wont be enough. And backing the pre load off will also lower the front end correct? Not sure I want to loose clearance in the front 

Edited by dailydrifter

The amount of preload adjustment you can make right now will make a tremendous difference. Also, the flat head screw near the top of the reservoir is the compression adjustment. If there is a flat head screw below the spring at the bottom of the shock it is rebound. 

If the shocks feel real stiff I would move the preload rings 1/2 way between the top of the threads and where they are now. Screw your compression screw all the way in and count the turns so you know where it is at. Depending where it is, make about 2 full clockwise turns (softer) after adjusting the preload and ride it to see what its like. 

Ill definitely try that out tomorrow. It would be great if i can get them to a usable state without having to send them out. Thanks for the info. 

The amount of preload adjustment you can make right now will make a tremendous difference. Also, the flat head screw near the top of the reservoir is the compression adjustment. If there is a flat head screw below the spring at the bottom of the shock it is rebound. 

If the shocks feel real stiff I would move the preload rings 1/2 way between the top of the threads and where they are now. Screw your compression screw all the way in and count the turns so you know where it is at. Depending where it is, make about 2 full counter clockwise turns (softer) after adjusting the preload and ride it to see what its like. 

Just finished this procedure and wow what a difference. The compression screw was a couple clicks away from being as hard as possible when i started and now its like a completely different machine.