Duncan racing?

20140224_175047.jpg

20140224_180548.jpg

Hey that looks like mine! Haha

So Hinson basket and such has to go. Was unable to split the cases today because I forgot to zap the flywheel nut off while at my buddy's house. I'm going back tomorrow to finish the job.

The 4 screws that hold the 2 thin metal brackets behind the basket wouldn't break lose with PB blaster and a tap of a hammer, ended up stripping 1 on each and stripped screw removal tool just ended up drilling them out. Any ideas on how to get them out now?

I didn't think I could split the cases with them on there. I used an impact driver which is what stripped the first 2.

I don't think I'll reuse anything that comes out if this axis just because if the risk factor.

That shift star looks normal so does that mean the transmission hasn't been modded?

Hinson makes a good basket. But that's all. You need the mattoon HD bushing and backing plate with the HD bolts that you need to drill the basket and run the right size tap

In the 15yrs that I've had my hinson.. I've only  replaced one backing plate   They're only 20.00 from hinson vs the 50.00 that mattoon wants.  Also, their newer plates seem stronger then the one that came with the basket.   Hinson cushions on the other hand are complete garbage and are trashed in about 5hrs.   Problem is people let the worn cushions go.. and you end up with a mess like this.

In the 15yrs that I've had my hinson.. I've only  replaced one backing plate   They're only 20.00 from hinson vs the 50.00 that mattoon wants.  Also, their newer plates seem stronger then the one that came with the basket.   Hinson cushions on the other hand are complete garbage and are trashed in about 5hrs.   Problem is people let the worn cushions go.. and you end up with a mess like this.

I don't know what happened but I can assume it had something to do with the cheap screws that someone installed, I know they were not the original screws. The basket isn't badly damaged but I don't know if I want to run it or even if I can because one thread might be messed up.

I can take a picture of the cushions and post it later, they didn't look worn but I wouldn't know what worn cushions look like.

The cheap screws had to have had something to do with it too, they were raised heads, they didn't sitt down in the plate like the factory ones and I think they might have been hitting something as it rotated, breaking them off,

I just found out that the jugs and head I got with the bottom end were not on the bottom end of this motor. neither the head, jugs or bottom end were ever part of one motor. All purchased separately on craiglist and then sold to me together.

Got the cases split. Showed Surfjag the transmission he says it's stock.

I found the other backing plate bolt head in the transmission along with other chunks of metal which I have no idea where they came from. Bottom of the cases have "88 Break" poorly etched into them, not sure why, jugs have "1" and "2" poorly etched into them like the person had to remember which side they went on :shootself:  other than that nothing unexpected happened. I'm going to thoroughly look everything over tomorrow to try to determine where those chunks came from. 

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/TroyBrock/IMG_4844_zps272462d4.jpg

I was told by a guy that forgot as much as I knew twice over,

Grind the bolt flat with light pressure. That'll sink a lot of heat into the bolt. Usually enough to free it up or melt off glue/loctite

Then with cut off wheel grind a notch again slowly to re apply heat. Use flat head. I've only had that not work one time

• Like 1