Transmission dog ear mod

keep coolant on it. But if you stay in a cut and keep coming out the coolant can shock the tool and make it brittle and brake. Although you shouldn't have a problem with that on gears.

slow as in feed rate or rpm tricked? Very different things. Can you clarify for him please.

Both. My old man was a machinist for years before moving to production supervisor. Always taught me spin the tool as slow as you can while still pulling a good cut. As for feeding, that's different for any material and cutting speed. You just gotta watch the where you're cutting and listen to the way the machine sounds. If the removal starts to wane and the machine starts to sound crazy smooth and almost speed up, give it some more material

The rpm of the bit is around 1100 And we were feeding it manually very very slowly. The carbide bits will be here today but he doesn't have time tonight to try em. He did put a new cooling set up on over the weekend so it should go well this time around.Thanks everyone for the knowledge and in put. I'll keep everyone updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rpm of the bit is around 1100 And we were feeding it manually very very slowly. The carbide bits will be here today but he doesn't have time tonight to try em. He did put a new cooling set up on over the weekend so it should go well this time around.Thanks everyone for the knowledge and in put. I'll keep everyone updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used an air grinder with a couple different carbide bits... I took my time not to destroy the temper on the gears.I spent about 20 minuets per gear. Its done and back together. Im way to impatient to drag out the process that long.. :cheers:  

IMG_20101123_161913.jpg

Rotary table will make your life much easier but if you dont have it you will have to do what you have to do.  I also use a carbide cutter, only the surface is really hard, id guess about .040" or so after that it machines pretty easy, just keep the coolant or oil on it and take your time.  As far as reliability, this will in no way change that.  The stock set up only ever has 3 dogs engaged anyway.  Why yamaha even put 6 on the gear is a mystery to me. good luck

• Like 1

the case hardening is pretty significant.  i usually break about 1-3 bits doing these here.  i also use coolant and cut them vertically.  after the cnc is up and running i think it will go better. a lot of "old timers" were used to cutting easily machinable materials and then heat treating them. at least the old as dirt books i have read that seems to be the case.  on a side note  i finally got a big rotary table here to do override drums with  ye ha!  also  i think i am starting to like really older machinery.  the way they look and the just massiveness of the way they are built is really interesting to me.   the 1910 Cincinnati belt drive horizontal mill i just acquired is sweet.