Drop the cases in gas.

So I blew up my banshee 2 summers ago and am just now getting around to fixing it:)!!! Anyhow there is a shit ton of black gunk EVERYWHERE on the cases. SO I was wondering if it was a good idea to drop them in some gas or kerosene to clean all the shit off. I have everthing out of the cases except for the shift forks and such. What are your suggestions?

Bead blast em , walnut shells

I bought a set of used cases and had a member on here blast them with walnut shells. Turned on great.

I would follow the advice of the previous posts and take them to the car wash and pressure wash the shit out of them. Dry them off, use a rag and a wire brush to scrap off anything that may still be left. Pressure wash again and begin tear down. I wouldn't soak them in gasoline. To expensive lol

Parts washer full of clean mineral spirits, and a good stiff bristled parts washing brush... Let the cases soak for about 20mins. then go at cleaning them with the brush... Don't forget to wear rubber gloves.... After you have them mostly dirt free, pressure wash them... Then blow them dry with compressed air.... That is how we always cleaned transmission parts/cases when I worked at the transmission shop...  Scrape all the gasket surfaces with a SHARP scraper or razor blade before starting to clean them.. DO NOT GOUGE YOUR GASKET MATING SURFACES!!!

Parts washer full of clean mineral spirits, and a good stiff bristled parts washing brush... Let the cases soak for about 20mins. then go at cleaning them with the brush... Don't forget to wear rubber gloves.... After you have them mostly dirt free, pressure wash them... Then blow them dry with compressed air.... That is how we always cleaned transmission parts/cases when I worked at the transmission shop... Scrape all the gasket surfaces with a SHARP scraper or razor blade before starting to clean them.. DO NOT GOUGE YOUR GASKET MATING SURFACES!!!

I'm with this guy up until the very end. I prefer to never scrape surfaces. Ever. I know a lot of old school guys will do it and do a perfect job with it.

But I have been using non-abrasive rol loc pads from 3m.

F4224740-58C6-46F9-9838-72A851764F4A.jpg

On my die grinder it takes 1/4 of the time as scraping and never risk gauging, grinding, distorting or anything. There meant for removing old gaskets. Now if you don't want to buy these then go ahead and use a scraper, just sharing the easiest safest and fastest way I have found.

• Like 2

^^ We call those clit burners^^ LOL they work awesome for delicate aluminum surfaces... I always use a scraper but, my scraper is sharpened using a sharpening stone,( so sharp you can shave with it) and I'm good with it... Been doing it that way for 20+ years and have never gouged a surface... You just have to make sure you hold the scraper very square to the surface being scraped..

I'm with this guy up until the very end. I prefer to never scrape surfaces. Ever. I know a lot of old school guys will do it and do a perfect job with it.

But I have been using non-abrasive rol loc pads from 3m.

F4224740-58C6-46F9-9838-72A851764F4A.jpg

On my die grinder it takes 1/4 of the time as scraping and never risk gauging, grinding, distorting or anything. There meant for removing old gaskets. Now if you don't want to buy these then go ahead and use a scraper, just sharing the easiest safest and fastest way I have found.

this is not a good way to clean critical surfaces. they are way to easy to remove parent material with the gasket. check your freshly cleaned part on a surface plate and you will find the gasket surfaces are no longer true and flat. i will only use a sharp razor blade. All those discs are good for is old cork gaskets.