Banshee won't start

ftball86

I am new to the Banshee and 2 strokes.

I just bought a '01 Banshee.  It started first kick at the guys house, got it home pulled carbs and cleaned them and cleaned/oiled the filters; still fired up on first kick.  I remembered seeing post on here stating that it is a good idea to drain tank since you don't know what they were using.  after I drained it, filled up with 91 and yamalube 2r (32:1).  now it won't start, am i missing something. 

I cleaned the carbs and filters last night, installed them this morning and it started no problem.  drove to get gas and yamalube, drained tank, refilled it, now no start (all in the same day).

it has t-5 pipes

dual k&n filters (no box)

TORS still installed, wires cut and removed

any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the motor has been running rich and the plugs have fouled. Pull the plugs, take a picture and post it here.

Also make sure you haven't over looked something simple. Key on, ignition switch on, and double check your gas selector. You stated that carbs are getting fuel. How do you know? Do you have clear fuel lines or did you check the carb bowls?

Also did you check to make sure the choke tube got reinstalled between the 2 carbs.

There are so many variables with banshees.

↑ this and also that the correct bowl went on the correct carb they are not interchangeable

i'll pull the plugs and send pic in the morning.

i know fuel is flowing because i pulled everything back off to verify i didn't mess something up since it was my first time and the carb bowls were full.

there is no key, switch is in the run position

and the tube between the two carbs in inlace.  i have double checked everything is inlace and tight, hopefully its the plugs.

if your positive that your getting fuel i would pull the plugs see how they look. do they have gas on them after trying to start it? do they look dirty and full of carbon? maybe try seeing how they spark when grounded to the motor.

i will check in the morning, my job has me living in a hotel in SD for the next 4 months so the only place i have to work on it is in the back of my truck in the parking lot (not much lighting this late).

what does it mean if the plugs have gas on them, dirty and full of carbon, just so i know what i'm looking at when i pull them.

that its too rich. When you cleaned them did you happen to make note of what jets where installed? and what the Air fuel screws were set at before cleaning and what you set them to after? If its too rich it could have fouled the plugs or they may jsut not be getting good spark due the carbon. make sure you check to see if they are sparking like i mentioned before

Clean the plugs with a simple brush and something like carb cleaner. But a simple brush should do the job. Reinstall the plugs then try to fire it. Pull the plugs and if they have gas on them, then you know fuel is getting to the cylinder. If it is, reconnect the plugs and ground them on the spark plug holes of the cylinder, so they contact bare metal, then kick it over and see if your getting spark.

This procedure will eliminate some simple fixes. Keep us updated and we will try and help best we can.

Are you on business or something? Why are you keeping the banshee in the back of your tuck?

Edited by red94yj

Welcome to the BansheeHQ and congrats on purchase your new Banshee.

You seem mechanically inclinded, but I'm going to ask anyway only because you stated that you're new to 2 strokes.

I know you said you mixed your fuel 32:1 w/Yamalube 2R.

How exactly did you mix your new fuel, and with 91 octane I presume?

One thing potential 2 stroke buyers should ask sellers is what 2 stroke oil did they use, what ratio did they mix their fuel and what octane does the motor require?

Some buyers don't ask, and the motor requires VP110, insta-meltdown.

Don't worry bud, we'll get you squared away.

Welcome to the BansheeHQ and congrats on purchase your new Banshee.

You seem mechanically inclinded, but I'm going to ask anyway only because you stated that you're new to 2 strokes.

I know you said you mixed your fuel 32:1 w/Yamalube 2R.

How exactly did you mix your new fuel, and with 91 octane I presume?

One thing potential 2 stroke buyers should ask sellers is what 2 stroke oil did they use, what ratio did they mix their fuel and what octane does the motor require?

Some buyers don't ask, and the motor requires VP110, insta-meltdown.

Don't worry bud, we'll get you squared away.

good point I've seen people mix it in there tank on occasion when fueling up mid ride. While not a good idea its possible to do so safely if measured correctly but always turn the petcock to off so the oil doesn't run down into the carbs clogging them before its mixed.