Banshee shifting issue

Cunningham94

I have a 1998 banshee, with the normal bolt ons, pipes, filter, soon to add timing plate and v force 4 reeds. I bought the bike last summer, decent bike. Have two issues with it, the first one is is I do believe I have a shifter seal leak as there is always a few drips under the transmission by the shifter. Is there any other places it could be leaking? It's always in the same spot under the shifter. I always top it off with type f auto tranny fluid. My second issue is, when is start it up I let it idle for a few minutes in neutral, get ready to take off, pull the clutch in and go to first gear. When I still have the clutch held in it will jerk, almost like an auto tranny shifting into gear. Sometimes it will actually stall cuz the wheels begin to turn. After I ride it for a few minutes it stops and goes just fine. Is this because I am using type f tranny fluid or do I have a bigger problem? I have never been into the clutches either. Thanks for any help.

clutches are sticking together untill it warms up. pretty normal at cold temps especially. There are rubber clutch cushions (not the ones in between basket and gear) that separate the clutches on a stock clutch pack wich get worn out or get removed when redoing the clutch, with out them i think its a pretty common issue.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the prompt reply, I assume it would be best to replace the clutch pack? Which is no big deal since I planned on it once I start adding a but more power, just wanted to make sure it was just the clutches sticking instead of a bigger issue that could be fixed while I was in there. Any recommendations on which brand of clutch? I plan on doing reeds, timing plate, milled head and a port job probably next winter.

grooved clutch basket or inner hub can make this issue worse but i can say from experience that when i replaced basket, inner hub,pressure plate and new clutch kit with all new mine still did it. i didn't replace those cushions wich help push the plates and fibers apart slightly. they were worn and torn so i tossed them. so i have to deduce that, that is why it still happens. my bike actually lurches forward and stalls as you described when its cold out until i have ridden it a few minutes to warm the clutch and oil up. If its a stock bike i wouldn't worry about it untill you notice some slippage. with stock horsepower you can get a tusk clutch kit for like $44.

It never hurts to pull things apart to inspect them though. its very simple and you can make sure there is nothing catastrophic in the making. Its very easy and not very time consuming for some piece of mind.