J-arms? Help!

Ronnie

Hello, I bought some hubs today and they came with the lower wish bone and a upper J-Arm. My banshee has double wishbones so there no way to bolt them up. I was wondering if I remove the J-arm can I use my upper wishbone and bolt it on that way or will that not work? I have never used a J-arm before. or should i just pull the hub off and use the hub that way? Its gonna be hard because the hubs don't want to come off.

-Ronnie

Well, you may or may not have something you can use. The lower A arms are all the same. No, you can't use the J arms on your A arm frame. Now, here's the weird part. J arms were 87-90. The brake calipers, spindles, hubs and rotors are 87-89 early style and 90 and newer late style. Sooooo, IF that J arm setup came off a 1990, you can use the brake, hub, and spindle components on your A arm bike. Here are some pics of the early and late hubs and rotors. The late style is on the left in all pics. You can put all of the early spindle, hub, rotor, and caliper on your A arms, but that would be dumb. You can NOT mix components.

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

Well, you may or may not have something you can use. The lower A arms are all the same. No, you can't use the J arms on your A arm frame. Now, here's the weird part. J arms were 87-90. The brake calipers, spindles, hubs and rotors are 87-89 early style and 90 and newer late style. Sooooo, IF that J arm setup came off a 1990, you can use the brake, hub, and spindle components on your A arm bike. Here are some pics of the early and late hubs and rotors. The late style is on the left in all pics. You can put all of the early spindle, hub, rotor, and caliper on your A arms, but that would be dumb. You can NOT mix components.

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

If I took a picture of them do you think you can tell what year they are from?

-Ronnie

Yep, post a few pics. Especially, the caliper mounting holes on the spindle and the calipers if you have them.

Notice how the ears on the grey hub in the pic is thick and the wheel stud is kinda recessed. The late style tapers thinner at the end and the stud is kinda raised up from the aluminum.

Edited by Starwriter