No Spark after new motor install

Newcs222

If they metered good then that's probably not it. If the ground is good and stator is good and pick up gap is ok. Then make sure flywheel isn't shot. Pull the flywheel and make sure key isn't sheared. That will make random spark and then shake the flywheel and see how bad it rattles

Edited by wayne_smith97
  • Like 1

Just spent a few hours tinkering on two bikes with spark issues too. First bike turned out to be the stator wires were installed from the factory in the wrong location. Second bike had a bad CDI. I hate electrical issues. If you now have spark, check the fuel system. Have you checked the carb slides to ensure they closing or bottoming out in the carbs?

Good luck

Troy

From my experience Cdi and stator are all or nothing. Not saying it couldn't happen.

So you think it may be just a bad ground? It sucks cause I don't have any spare electrical parts to swap in. I do have the stator that came with the motor but it has a different connector end. I would have to hard wire. Both stators have the same resistance. I think Maybe I'll swap out the flywheel today from my 87 motor since I'm using the stator from my 87 motor. What do you think it may be? 

Just spent a few hours tinkering on two bikes with spark issues too. First bike turned out to be the stator wires were installed from the factory in the wrong location. Second bike had a bad CDI. I hate electrical issues. If you now have spark, check the fuel system. Have you checked the carb slides to ensure they closing or bottoming out in the carbs?

Good luck

Troy

The stator i installed worked on my 87 motor. Spark is only sometime. Like every other kick but sometimes on every kick. Carb slides are bottoming out. Reeds are good. I cleaned the pilot jets. I even tried spraying carb cleaner on my filters to get it to start. Nothing yet. Have you ever heard of anyone running a separate ground wire from the motor to the chassis? Where would be a good place to do it? Thanks

You seem to be getting spark, are you sure you have no leaks at intake. Is choke tube installed and in good condition. Try removing filters, lift slides and squirt some gas through carbs, then try to start.

I only get spark every 4-5 kicks? Tested the stator winding and coil. Both get the desired resistances. Must be my cdi box? Only spark sometimes?

You seem to be getting spark, are you sure you have no leaks at intake. Is choke tube installed and in good condition. Try removing filters, lift slides and squirt some gas through carbs, then try to start.

I installed the carb sliders backwards. I was getting way too much fuel. Still wasnt starting. Swapped out the stator, fired up! Runs good. Even tho I had the right reading off the windings the stator was still bad.