crank welding questions.

2005shee

I have my engine apart for clutch reasons and thought maybe ill get my crank welded. first off should I even need it? I have Toomey t5s and k and n with no lid at the moment but plan on doing more, nothing crazy just like reeds, cool head and possibly some porting. next question is it something any good welder can do or is it something that needs to be done by somebody  who welds cranks often, reason for asking is my cousin has gone to school for welding and does it professionally and he can do it for free. next question would it need to be trued or can it be welded and thrown back in? and last what kind of welding should be done, tig?

so you wouldn't recommend my cousin doing it even if hes really good at it? and also how much would someone charge for doing it? and truing is required?

Send it out.....You must true the crank which requires a jig to hold the crank.  If it weren't for the truing of the crank im sure EVERYONE would give it a shot.  And yes....it needs to be TIG welded......

BUT here's something to think about.........take the cost of a quality TIG welder (which aint cheap) and then look at any one of our builders.  Now on these bikes there isn't a TON that requires the use of a TIG welder....there is a need for some welding but not THAT much.  So these guys have bought extremely expensive welders to ensure that they can weld where good, strong welds are needed. 

And to ask if you think you need it welded.....yes you do.  it costs about $65 dollars.  That's nothing.  Now think about what happens if you DON'T do it.......your gonna be in the market for a new crank ($400) plus the possibility of more hard parts.....but why tear your motor apart to replace that blown crank without replacing seals (at $30) and while your at it you remember your top end was old and tired....there's another $300 to rebuild....

So its just cheaper to pay the $65 +the ride and have a sponsor weld it and true it.....plus if its beyond repair....they'll let you know their feelings of whether or not to run it based on if it will do more damage...