What drag axle do I have?

atcandbanshees

I don't know where everyone gets the idea that stainless is so heavy. Out of curiosity, I used the online calculator, and a 2" diameter, 2' long, 21 lb bar of stainless is only 1/4 to 1/2 lb heavier than chromoly. (Depends on the alloy) I know somebody is going to say that a stainless axle would need to be bigger diameter than a chromoly axle to be strong enough. I call BS. An aftermarket size, stainless axle is still going to be stronger than any aluminum drag axle.

As for the original question, stainless and Ti look very similar. Only way I know to tell the difference is to try to run a file across it or weigh it.

maybe you should ask the guy you bought the bike from to ask the guy he got it from then to ask the guy that got it in the first place what it is..  i am sorry but i always find it so hard to believe when an obviously custom bike like that pops up with questions that the buyer dosent know already?   something like that would nearly always go with a complete parts list or at least a very good description.  at least i would THINK so.   escpeciually with an obviously very custom axle in it.

unless you got it from a repo auction or some pissed off wife kinda sale..? 

either way  nice looking bike  there is always the possibility it is a one off axle made out of ( whatever) that was machined to accept those hubs.  the wheel hubs look like durablue hubs?  i would say take it out  weigh it  look for markings on the inside where it rides in the carrier.  also measure the bearing size maybe?

i have a RAD alluminum full width axle in my cr500 trike 

I bought the bike from a guy who had lots of money and didn't care to know about the bike. Just cared that other people thought it was cool lol. And he got it used cause it looked badass he said. So it was hard to figure out anything from him except the obvious stuff i had seen before

• 5 weeks later...