Almost finished with my build and....I may have a problem

Tommygunn

Yep, time to split the cases, but, don't do it upside down. After you have everything ready to split, with the crank gears removed, put a ratchet strap from 1 end of the crank, over the head, between the spark plugs to the other end of the crank. Just tighten it snug. Don't get carried away. Then lift the top case off, leaving the trans in the lower half. While it's apart, flip the top half over, remove the ratchet strap, lift the crank slightly and replace the crank seals. Check to see if the crank pins are welded. If they're not, do a complete teardown and send the crank to be trued and welded. If it's a stock crank and it is already welded, make sure the pins in the crank bearings are located properly when you put it back together. Also, make sure you remove the steel strap behind the clutch basket that ties the top and bottom case halves together.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be sure to keep everything clean.  I've also read on here of a few people drilling a 1/8 inch hole in the side of the case and using a punch to knock it out.  I'm a machinist so I could ream it to .125 and make a plug to press in very tight. bad idea?

Edited by Tommygunn

Dont overthink this nor try to take the "easy" route...just think because of this your gonna split the cases and answer about 50 questions you might have had about what is really under your seat...you might have an issue in the motor you dont even know about and you can rectify it before your doing the same thing in the near future..i know it seems like a lot of work but it really isnt and you will thank everyone in the end...

I also agree. Split the cases. I recently bought a used complete 421 cub and tore it down to go through it. So glad I did. One of the crank bearing were shot. Could have cost me a lot more then the bench time to tear it down. Better safe them sorry :)

Troy