How much metal is too much?

i would go all around the w.p drive gear and make sure there is no chipped or damage tot he gear ( very unlikely)  if the gear is to tight on the water pump gear that might cause that.  it maynot have meshed all the way when you installed it ( doubtful)  i have seen many plastic gears get broken from being hammerd on to the case installing the cover  WOW>  i always makesure the gears mesh nicely when assembling  its kinda  bitch.

check the section in the case where the pump shaft gets support.  check and make sure thebillet gear is seated all the way?  if the crank bearings are moving around might case the wear also.

i personally use all the OEM water pump parts also.  

It's impossible to see where the damage is to the gear. Was it rubbing against the clutch cover or was is getting chewed by the crank primary gear? If it's damaged on the crank gear side, put the gear on an impeller with the snap ring and washer and slide it into the case to see what's going on.

Well never have i ad any problems with the stock cooling system. Stock radiator, pump, and head. Unless you ever give The bike a Break or decide to pull something across the dunes of course it will over heat. But under normal circumstances including racing circiuts, stock cooling seems To be trouble free and adequate

thats exactilly!  what i was thinking when i seen this thread.  

i was pretty disapointed it was about banshee's.  

ran all stock stuff for years, mx racing, duning, trails etc etc.  had the best luck and reliability with it.   and yea  on motors that are 10+ years old  shit is going to wear out some!

I pulled the gear out and lined it up on the case and it sits nice on the gear. I measured the distance it sits in the cover and made sure it sits in the middle of the gear and its real close. I filed down the damage and rounded the teeth off to the side to it will mess nice. I think it will be fine. I'll soon find out when I pull my oil next time.

I took it out to a friend place with a 3-4 acre lot. I could hit 4th gear so I was able to run it some what hard. It ran real good and I didn't throw my chain which was a problem because I bent the 4 spoke rear sprocket hub a few weeks ago. Hopefully it will hold together for the West Virgina trip July 19th.