Losing coolant

#1 - The coolant overflow reservoir doesn't do shit. That's one of the first things to hit the trash along with the TORS and the parking brake. Just run the overflow down the frame. (When your having water issues....run it so it will vent right out the top of the grill so you will see it happen.)

#2 - Be sure both cylinders are flush with each other before the head goes on.

#3 - Some cool head styles can leak around a head stud.

#4 - Is there any chance that your DIY porting grazed a water jacket and it only acts up when hot?

Lastly - I just had a small leak that ended up being a bad hose from the pump to the head. The hose was leaking in it's core and fluid would travel to a hose end thru the body of the hose and spray out in a fine mist hitting cylinder and pipe. I chased it thinking it was bad O-rings to the point I even got a different head!

Try getting bike good and hot. Then put 20 PSI of pressure into overflow hose while reving the motor up. Then watch everything. Your bound to see a drip sooner or later. If not.....your burning it and it's going out the pipes. That you should smell.

I dropped the oil today. There are grey streaks in the oil and there is a lot of metal in the oil. It doesn't look creamy at all. It looks like there is a shit ton of metal in it. This is just awesome. I get to pull the motor once again and pull the bottom end off.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the radiator cap, the hose from pump to head and a new water pump pipe o ring. I went through 3/4 of a tank and didn't loose any coolant yesterday. Hopefully I have this problem fixed. I'll find out in West Virgina in 3 weeks.

The source of the metal shavings was from my water pump billet gear. The inside edge of the teeth had some damage to them. I measured everything up to make sure it was sitting on the gear properly and then I shaved the damage off the gear.