Works shocks bump stop spacer

Starwriter

I have 2 sets of Works AT Steeler front shocks. Both are 14 1/2" eye to eye. Both are setup exactly the same. Same springs rates, same valving, everything. Both sets were bought here on BHQ as Banshee shocks. One set has a 1/2" spacer behind the rubber bump stop. The other does not. With the spacer, the shock travel is 3 1/2" til contact with the bump stop. The set without the spacer is 4" til contact with the bump stop. The piston does not bottom out without the spacer. Which is correct? Stock shocks measure about 3 1/2" of travel til contact. Looking around at pics, I see a lot of these shocks without the spacer.

DSC00177.jpg

What is the length of the shaft, overall?

Also, that top shaft looks bent.

Anyways, you can run them either way, but those spacers are installed on shocks that are set up for stock width arms. It keeps the frame from smashing into the ground on big jumps. No spacers are generally for +2 or +3 arms depending upon the length of the shaft.

The shaft is 7 1/4" from the shoulder on the eye to the end of the threads. I rolled them on glass. They're not bent. I mocked one of them up without a spring, in a frame that I have. With no spacer and the shock against the bump stop, the centerline of the spindle is 5" higher than the bottom of the frame, so with 10" wheels, and allowing for some slight squish of the bump stop, you would have to almost completely flatten the tires on landing, for the frame to hit. I checked for ball joint bind on stock A arms and the suspension has to compress an additional 2" at the spindle for ball joint bind. I only ride sand, so looks like I'm good to go taking out the spacers. Thanks everyone for your help.

DSC00179.jpg