Newbie with no spark

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you check the stator, coil, kill switch and key switch, make your checks at the cdi connector so that you are checking all of the wiring too.

Also check the stator at the stator connector since the resistance is so low that the resistance may not be in spec if you go by the reading at the cdi connection.

Well I did some testing. I couldn't get an ohm reading on either coil. I took the wires out and tried to go from the pin in the socket to the contact tab on the outside of the coil. There was nothing. I had a blaster coil laying around and that ohmed out good. So now since I'm frustrated with this thing I'm just going to order a new eom Cdi, new eom coil, and new eom stator.

Well I did some testing. I couldn't get an ohm reading on either coil. I took the wires out and tried to go from the pin in the socket to the contact tab on the outside of the coil. There was nothing. I had a blaster coil laying around and that ohmed out good. So now since I'm frustrated with this thing I'm just going to order a new eom Cdi, new eom coil, and new eom stator.

You must have money to blow

Which wires are you testing on the coil? Primary coil is testing is done where the orange and black wires plug on and secondary is plug wire to plug wire. The clymers manual is wrong on coil testing.

Don't blow your money on all that. All 3 are not bad.

I will try to test it that way tomorrow. I found a broken wire coming out of the Cdi and I tout that would fix the problem. It didn't. So here is what's going on right now. I pulled the wires out of the coil and to check the pin (see if wires were bad.) now I can't get them back in. I have read good things on here about dynatek. I can get a Cdi and coil for around 300. Then that leaves me with this piece of shit rm stator. I just want to get this thing together with quality parts so it will be somewhat reliable.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will get a meter and check it soon. The TORS was just disconnected at the harnesses and the little black box is gone. The parking brake is disconnected and the wire coming from the throttle has been removed. The bike is a 99. What year CDI's can I use to check it? I might be able to get my hands on one.

Sorry guys I made a mistake here. This bike is a 96 not a 99. Not sure if that makes any difference. I know the Cdi is different.

• 1 month later...

Cool

Glad you figured it out. Do ya have recent photos. I hope you have deep pockets.

Now that it's up and running you'll have to change EVERYTHING on it just like most of us do. :)

Have fun.

Troy