Newbie with no spark

So I got this banshee for free. I have never seen this bike run. I almost have it all back together and I don't have spark. This is what I have done so far. New stator with adjustable timing plate (eBay cheapo), bypassed key and connected the two wires, tors is completely removed, and I have tried two different coils. I have a manual, but havent tested anything cause i cant find my tester. I've been doing some reading on here and everybody says make sure grounds are clean. The only ground I saw was at the voltage regulator by the Cdi box. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies guys. I will get a meter and check it soon. The TORS was just disconnected at the harnesses and the little black box is gone. The parking brake is disconnected and the wire coming from the throttle has been removed. The bike is a 99. What year CDI's can I use to check it? I might be able to get my hands on one.

It's most likely that POS stator... I had a Rick Stator new in the box, it was defective right from the rip..... Ended up scrapping the stator and pick-up coil, used the timing plate w/the stock electronics, and then it worked..... DON'T buy Chinese products!

It's most likely that POS stator... I had a Rick Stator new in the box, it was defective right from the rip..... Ended up scrapping the stator and pick-up coil, used the timing plate w/the stock electronics, and then it worked..... DON'T buy Chinese products!

Yeah I wish I would have read all this before i bought it. I never set the pickup gap when I put it on. I will also be checking if I have lights flickering too. I'm hoping that is the problem. I'll set it to .018 when I get home. If not I will be ordering a stator. Here is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STATOR-200-WATT-YAMAHA-YFZ350-Banshee-95-96-97-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-05-06-/121094509418?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c31cb936a&vxp=mtr

Yeah that one sucks. The coil is also grounded to the frame through the mounting screws.

I saw that. I roughed them up really good last night with some sand paper. I'm sure its the pickup gap. I never set it. When the stator came in I just screwed it on. I'll update tonight.

Well I still can't get this piece of shit to spark. Here is what I have done since last post.

Tried my oem stator (has one bad winding from removal.)

Set pickup to 0.18

Tried another coil

Checked the ground by the voltage regulator

Cleaned inside of flywheel

Disconnected run switch

Took tape of of the harness and inspected wires

Tapped on Cdi box

Cleaned grounds again where coil mounts

Verified that the lights are not flickering

I am waiting on a call from a guy I know. I'm going to see if I can use his Cdi box to test it. And I found my meter. I will be testing everything tomorrow.