marvin shaws

blakeriley

No.

Shaws can be setup to work well for dune riding.  You can't just buy a set off ebay and expect them to work correctly.  It starts with ordering the correct shock. Call Marvin shaw and talk to them.

He's not talking about finding a flat spot and dragging for 4 seconds. He's talking about duning. You know that thing everyone else goes to the dunes to do. The parts with the whoops, bumps, jumps and sometimes includes airtime.

Blake, call Matt ^^^Above^^^ I'd talk about ELKA's,  AXIS or at the least WORKS.

• Like 1

For a long time, I have wondered what the point is in the Marvin Shaw coilovers. Shaws weigh considerably less than a coilover shock, so that's great for dragging, but if you get shaw coilovers for duning, you have just defeated the weight savings and bought a drag shock that is compromised to sorta work on a duner. They are purdy though.

For a long time, I have wondered what the point is in the Marvin Shaw coilovers. Shaws weigh considerably less than a coilover shock, so that's great for dragging, but if you get shaw coilovers for duning, you have just defeated the weight savings and bought a drag shock that is compromised to sorta work on a duner. They are purdy though.

You hit the nail on the head. Looks. That's about it. I recommend them for groomed track bikes only, in which case, a rigid setup is better.

If you are interested in the weight savings,wouldn't Fox Floats be the ticket? Plus they should handle better than Shaws i would think.

Or they can just lay off the cheeseburgers. Then they can run shocks that soak up the hits instead of running stuff that want's to eject everything not bolted to the machine.

my rear coil over shaw is still way lighter and i rode on all three of them the first time this weekend and it actually handles pretty good on the whoops and such sure their not ideal but they look nice and are light

What does that weight saving really do for you performance wise? Unless your a jockey under 160 pounds....what difference does it really make?

"Pretty good over the whoops" shouldn't mean "I lifted and hung on for dear life and managed to survive" It should mean " I pinned it and carried the front end thru the whoops."

My ELKA Dune Editions can handle me running 5th gear pinned right along side the V-8 sand rails through the rough stuff. If anyone wants to tell me they do that with a Marvin/Shaw combo....I'm going to call bullshit.

He's not talking about finding a flat spot and dragging for 4 seconds. He's talking about duning. You know that thing everyone else goes to the dunes to do. The parts with the whoops, bumps, jumps and sometimes includes airtime.

Back when I tried to have a dune and drag bike I used shaws..  caught air and hammered whoops.. Took my bike to LS and was jumping it out there with a +12   I dunno.. guess thats not duning.    my bad.  

But I dont use Comps with 800-1500psi either...    I missed the part where the OP asked if they were the best for duning..     No there is better options.. but they are not the stiff riding pogo sticks everyone makes them out to be.

Are they anywhere near my TCS and Axis shocks?.. Not hardley.. but.. shaws dont cost $2,000.00 either.  You get what you pay for.   To each their own.

Wonder if I can get these for the ziggy?  

coil_over_w_resy.jpg

"Hammering" sounds like a good description of how they would feel in the whoops. LOL

"Hammering" sounds like a good description of how they would feel in the whoops. LOL

Really wasn't that bad.   have you had a set? If you havn't... Its ok to hate on stuff you've never used..  everyone is doing it.

shaws are a compromise shock..  the OP has a +10 swingarm.. so it would be fairly safe to assume he's not a pure dune rider and doesn't go to the dunes just for "that thing everyone else goes to the dunes for"

I dunno.. maybe I'm still new to this "duning" thing... are +10's pure awesomeness for "duning" and air time?

guess I'll stick to the dune riding I know..

YEEHAWW!!

IMAG0494.jpg

LMAO

And he finishes with a pic of him ripping a 4-stroke.