Leak down Testers

Poolman

i built one a while back  after reading a few threads i made some changes to suite my needs i felt, nd went to work   I used a fuel pressure tester, vacuum gauge from auto store. took the intakes i was going to use to the hardware store, fit the plugs i wanted bought a air tank schrader fill valve (also at auto store) and a few pipe thread  barb fitting, plug pipe tap, and a t fitting.. (also at auto parts store)  went home  glued it all up,  taped the plastic, sealed it all and started using my air compressor, and some soapy water in a squirt bottle to test stuff..  ( with a regulator and a gauge set down to 15 psi.of course .)  also thanks to this forum i found an old banshee oem front bumbper and robed the rubber plugs off of it.  even better i had a warrior front bumper and those are larger id for the other stuff i have tested.. whoo ho !

it absolutley amazes me how much stuff has had problems..  found a 250r with multiple leaks all over the place that came in needing "jetted", did a somewhat fresh built banshee motor with major leaks on the intake area's,  multiple other banshees with leaky intake's with good quality gaskets"..  and recently a lt500 with case issues and blown the f out crank seals.    its amazing what you can find with these.  to me its as necessary to have one of these as a 10 mm end wrench,and also a synch tool, flywheel puller. are very necessary to work on these motors.. 

and NO  i wont build anyone one, and i dont give a shit about the gauges accuracy down to bla bla bla. 

on a side note  dont build one to pull a vacuum on  its extremely hard to find leaks with vacuum.  

I've never done a leak down on a motor. Are they important?

Nope. You have a spare DM sitting around. No need for you to worry about leaks. If something happens and it burns down, you can just swap in bullet #2 and send the leaker back to Cam for a fresh build. You'll be ready for a bigger motor by tgen anyway.....

Nope. You have a spare DM sitting around. No need for you to worry about leaks. If something happens and it burns down, you can just swap in bullet #2 and send the leaker back to Cam for a fresh build. You'll be ready for a bigger motor by tgen anyway.....

In 13 years of owning Banshees I've never burned a motor down. I've never blown one up. Even when my crank broke in half it didn't tear anything up.

Obviously they've had great initial setup but I just don't see the need. Kind of like plug chops. Never have, never will.

Other than Cam setting them up, I put together all my own motors and countless others in the area. Guess I'm either good or lucky. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My first motor leaked on the junk 2 piece aluminum Boss intake.  It leaked so bad that I could feel the air blowing in my face.  I now use UPP intakes and my newest motor doesn't drop PSI at all.  In my opinion, it's a cheap way to make sure not only your work is good, but the components you chose to run are good too.  With the o-rings in the intake, I would have thought they would have sealed better, but they didn't seal at all.  I had to seal it with Threebond to stop the leak.