indents on flywheel

And it's bent now, so you need a new one for sure.

Sorry for the bad news....but that's why they say use the right tool for the job.

Now you can bust dad's chops about it. LOL

I have had to do the same thing because the threads on my 1987 flywheel are toast. As long as you did not bend the flywheel your fine, those little teeth marks from the puller don't do shit. My bike ran just as smooth as ever with the dents that I had to put into mine.

And it's bent now, so you need a new one for sure.
Sorry for the bad news....but that's why they say use the right tool for the job.
Now you can bust dad's chops about it. LOL

How does that throw off the balance? Im being serious here not a smart ass question. As long as he did not remove any material (weight) than the indents in the metal should not do anything to affect the actual balance of the flywheel. I have done this with no noticeable difference of how the bike ran or how smooth it ran.

So while I was at work my dad decided to try and pull my flywheel off with a jaw type gear puller and put 2 very small indents on it and I was wondering if this would throw it off balance or anything. I can post pics later if needed but like I said they are very small. Thanks

You wont have any issues IMO. I put my beat up flywheel with teeth marks on a brand new 4-mill crank and it ran with zero issues. It was just as smooth running as ever. My 10 mill supercub is the vibration king lol, but yet its got a perfectly flawless flywheel.

If someone made a tap to chase/clean the flywheel puller threads, I would buy one.

Make your own. With a dremel cut off wheel cut a few lines up a fly wheel puller. Then run a thread file. Is it the best? No. Does it work? Yes.

I just re-read that, you want to clean the puller or the flywheel?

Make your own. With a dremel cut off wheel cut a few lines up a fly wheel puller. Then run a thread file. Is it the best? No. Does it work? Yes.

I just re-read that, you want to clean the puller or the flywheel?

Actually, I have considered this very thing. It would need to be done to a new flywheel puller. I haven't done it for 2 reasons. The threads on a tap are relieved behind the cutting edge. That's going to be pretty much impossible to recreate. The other thing is that it's nowhere near hard enough to maintain a sharp edge.

You dont need to remove weight to.fuck up the balance. You.just need to move it. At 10k rpm, a little inbalance will fuck shit it.

Although I do somewhat agree with what your saying, but text book and real world is 2 different things. He will not even notice anything at all. The metal that he did move was equally moved on each side of the flywheel, so basically they cancel each other out. If he did it to just one side then I could see him feeling a lil vibration. It does nothing, I ran my bike the same way for the last 3 years.

Although I do somewhat agree with what your saying, but text book and real world is 2 different things. He will not even notice anything at all. The metal that he did move was equally moved on each side of the flywheel, so basically they cancel each other out. If he did it to just one side then I could see him feeling a lil vibration. It does nothing, I ran my bike the same way for the last 3 years.

Now this brings up a point. A flywheel is balanced, they drill holes to achieve this. I have a lightened flywheel. Machined on both sides of the pickups.

No it takes way more than that to bend a stock flywheel. When I took my shitty flywheel off the very first time, it was seized onto the crank because who ever put it on did not put grease on the crank. When we finally got the flywheel to come loose it came off so fast that if it had hit one of us it would have broke are legs. We were actually pushing against the crank so hard with the bearing puller it mushroomed out the end of the crank a lil bit. So what the point is, if a stock flywheel can take that much force without bending(and mine did not) then he will be just fine.

Lightened flywheels are known to do that because again your removing metal not moving it. If you take metal off the wrong parts of the flywheel it weakens them and causes them to break apart like you said. This how ever is not the situation at all.

For it to cause premature breakage it first has to be unbalanced. Ive never seen a machinist move metal to balance a crank, they remove metal to do that. You can move metal on a crank, but as long as the metal is moved the same on each side the weight will remain the same also to counter act each other. A flywheel does not have to be a certain design to be balanced, it has to be equal weight all the way around. In this case the metal around the flywheel has changed shape slightly, but the weight around it has remained the same.

Im with sky on this one. Is it the best way to do it? Probably not. HOWEVER with a 3 jaw puller spreading the force evenly over the flywheel the chances of fucking up the flywheel are slim. You people act like these are some high precision machine. These fuck piles have the worst tolerances you can imagine. Im gonna guess no, but have you ever ran miss match bore size pistons? Guess what. Dont make a bit of difference.

Im with star on this one. Is it the best way to do it? Probably not. HOWEVER with a 3 jaw puller spreading the force evenly over the flywheel the chances of fucking up the flywheel are slim. You people act like these are some high precision machine. These fuck piles have the worst tolerances you can imagine. Im gonna guess no, but have you ever ran miss match bore size pistons? Guess what. Dont make a bit of difference.

Exactly that is a great point. This is not Formula 1 racing at all. I don't think this will be a dagger to the bikes heart at all, no change at all really.