Toggle switch for On/Off and Lights..Help Me!

SuperMex

what i did was first take the big old run/light switch off the bars.seperate the lights and ignition wires .then i got a cr style push button kill switch and splice it in.black and black gray. easy peezie

then you need a 2 way targa switch for lights.you can get a 3 way targa if u want high/low/off .remember to hook the blue wire so your tail light also lights up when the switch is on. i installed my toggle light switch where the tors once bolted.its not as hard as it seems.jus study the the pic below.

image002Small.jpg

To do it right, you need a double pole, double throw toggle switch with a center off position. It will have 6 terminals and may say "on-off-on" on the package. You do NOT want one with a spring return to center. That would be labeled "(on)-off(on)". Here is how you wire the 6 terminals. Note that the power feed and the high beam wires are both yellow. Make sure you get that right. On the switch side of the OEM connector, the power feed is yellow/red. On the '02-'06 bikes, the power feed is all yellow/red.

switch.jpg

If you don't care about high and low beams, you just need a simple 2 terminal toggle switch. Wire the yellow power feed to 1 terminal and your beam of choice and the blue taillight wire to the other terminal.

Edited by Starwriter

Ok so the tail light wire needs to be routed to both high and low beam settings? I was looking at the switch assembly and it looks like the tail light is off when the circuit is closed and on when its open. I am by no means good at electrical so I am just wondering if this is right?

IMAG0787.jpg

IMAG0788.jpg

IMAG0789.jpg

IMAG0784.jpg

Ok so the tail light wire needs to be routed to both high and low beam settings? I was looking at the switch assembly and it looks like the tail light is off when the circuit is closed and on when its open. I am by no means good at electrical so I am just wondering if this is right?

Not exactly. There are 2 bridges in the rotating part of the switch. 1 connects the yellow/red to the blue for taillight, only in lowbeam and highbeam positions. The other connects the red to the low(green) and high(yellow) respectively. Basically, all that matters though, is that you connect the yellow/red and red wires to the center terminals of the toggle switch and then hook up all the other colors, with the blue connected to both ends of the switch as shown.

Also the red wire is coming off the yellow/red wire which is power from stator. On the stock switch the red is what gives power to the low beam setting and high beam setting.

Correct, I didn't know you were going to tear things that far apart, but might as well use what's already there.

I am also going to wire up a CR style kill switch on my bike and i will try to do a good write up with pics etc. The Banshee off position is closed circuit and on[Run] position is open.

Wrong, the Banshee kill switch is closed in the off position and open in the run position. The key switch is opposite. The red/black wire must be connected to the black wire for it to run.

Glad to help. Post more pics when you get it hooked up and working.

I have thought for a long time that this kill switch is interesting, but never looked into making one fit. It replaces the cap on the clutch lever perch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZETA-YZ250-Billet-Perch-Clamp-Style-Kill-Switch-Button-Yamaha-YZ-250-/230870085615?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c0edefef&vxp=mtr

Edited by Starwriter