Grenaded inner clutch hub

baconNgritz

So, I was out riding with a buddy today and we were hitting some pretty steep sand climbs. Halfway up one of the hills, the unmistakable sounds of snapping metal followed by a horrendous grinding noise quickly brought me to a halt. So I stopped as quickly as I could and pushed her on home.

Anybody have any ideas on why this happened? Is this common? And is there a way to make sure none of the bits got into the trans?

Thanks in advance guys!

y9uzabe8.jpg

ety4e2us.jpg

Only seen it one time and it was on a blaster. Cause: over torquing on assembly. That whole motor needs to be torn down and properly cleaned and rebuilt. Splitting cases is no big deal. Once you open it up it is literally 2 trans clusters and a crank. Get a clymer manual and you're good

So I've got the cover, clutch hub, and pressure plate on the way! However, I can't, for the life of me, find the pressure plate bolts. Do any of you have any suggestions?

I've already searched through the forum sponsors, and anywhere else I've found, they have been out of stock!

It's so close to being rideable again, except for this little speed bump haha

TIA

certainly doesn't show signs of the inner hub failing on the splines. the splines are what transfer all the load, even on the pressure plate, which snapped off all the posts. with seeing how worn the basket is, i can only assume the clutch fibres grenaded and grabbed on the pressure plate, pushing it beyond the hub splines with load, to snap the legs off. the screws are just standard metric bolts you can get locally, and put washers on them. don't remember if they were "10.9" or "12.9". should be on the head. just screw one out with a couple vice grips, or something and go match them up. don't forget to match hardness. i know i have extra, but i don't think they are worth digging out and shipping right now...

I would say it's a pretty good guess that the carnage is related to one of his earlier posts.

"So the idler gear cam in today and I got the entire clutch assembly reinstalled. All was fine and dandy until I started it up, the second I pull the clutch lever, I hear what sounds like a metal on metal grinding."

I would say it's a pretty good guess that the carnage is related to one of his earlier posts.

"So the idler gear cam in today and I got the entire clutch assembly reinstalled. All was fine and dandy until I started it up, the second I pull the clutch lever, I hear what sounds like a metal on metal grinding."

After that, I took it all back apart and fixed the issue. One of the rubber o-rings or spacers under the fiber discs was stuck behind the clutch plates which held them out of place. Once it was back together, everything was working working fine on the first ride, then it went to hell on the second.

After that, I took it all back apart and fixed the issue. One of the rubber o-rings or spacers under the fiber discs was stuck behind the clutch plates which held them out of place. Once it was back together, everything was working working fine on the first ride, then it went to hell on the second.

Why did you reuse the rubber bands? I think that is where you went wrong