Powering "OFF" issue

BlownSVT03

You have 2 separate problems. The black/white kill switch wire gets connected to ground through the kill switch to shut the motor off. The red/black wire gets connected to ground through the key switch to make the engine run. If the red/black wire does not have a complete circuit to ground, the bike will NOT run. Let's start with the kill switch. Take the kill switch apart and you will probably find that the block with the wires soldered to it has jumped out of place on the left side. It's a shit design and I haven't figured out a good solution to keep it in place. Epoxy is probably the only easy way. It's also possible that a wire broke off at 1 of the solder connections there.

Edited by Starwriter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i did to figure this out on a 3 wheeler before is take that black/white wire while its running and touch the bare end of the wire to the frame. it should die if not that wire has a break in it somewhere. if it does then you switch is faulty.

I got the black white wire and grounded it, it didn't shut off.

You have 2 separate problems. The black/white kill switch wire gets connected to ground through the kill switch to shut the motor off. The red/black wire gets connected to ground through the key switch to make the engine run. If the red/black wire does not have a complete circuit to ground, the bike will NOT run. Let's start with the kill switch. Take the kill switch apart and you will probably find that the block with the wires soldered to it has jumped out of place on the left side. It's a shit design and I haven't figured out a good solution to keep it in place. Epoxy is probably the only easy way. It's also possible that a wire broke off at 1 of the solder connections there.

This will be my next step. If the kill switch wire jumped out of place, will this effect the key switch also? Remember neither one of them work.

This will be my next step. If the kill switch wire jumped out of place, will this effect the key switch also? Remember neither one of them work.

No, you have 2 separate problems. When you grounded the black/white wire, did you ground the end that goes into the harness or the end that goes up to the bars. You need to ground the end that goes into the harness. If that's what you did, then you have an open circuit somewhere between there and the CDI box at the back. Has somebody done some half ass wire repairs to the wire harness underneath the seat beside the right stinger? It's common for wires to get melted there. Maybe something came apart.

No, you have 2 separate problems. When you grounded the black/white wire, did you ground the end that goes into the harness or the end that goes up to the bars. You need to ground the end that goes into the harness. If that's what you did, then you have an open circuit somewhere between there and the CDI box at the back. Has somebody done some half ass wire repairs to the wire harness underneath the seat beside the right stinger? It's common for wires to get melted there. Maybe something came apart.

I grounded the wire that goes into the harness while the bike was running and it didn't shut off. What is the stinger?

So I took a second shot at grounding the wire and it shut off looks like I wasnt doing it to bare metal the first time. Next: the key switch, I was lookin at the wiring and it looks as it has a total of 4 wires. It has 2 going to the coil and 2 black wires connected together. Does this sound correct?

Sounds right, here is the wiring diagram, chasing the key-switch wires should be pretty easy.

banshwdc.jpg

So I took a second shot at grounding the wire and it shut off looks like I wasnt doing it to bare metal the first time. Next: the key switch, I was lookin at the wiring and it looks as it has a total of 4 wires. It has 2 going to the coil and 2 black wires connected together. Does this sound correct?

Only 2 of the wires on the key switch are used. There are 2 wires in the harness and 4 wires on the other side of the connector. Ignore the wire colors on the key switch side of the connector. The red/black wire MUST be grounded for the bike to run. So, either you have the key switch contacts that are not opening in the off position or the red/black wire is shorted to ground somewhere in the harness. TOTALLY separate problem from the kill switch.

Now that the engine dies when you short the black/white wire to ground, check that kill switch like I told you to.

Edited by Starwriter