Welding Roundhouse style into stock swingarm

sootman73

Is there a write-up for welding in a roundhouse style tube into the stock swingarm? I have bent mounting tabs at the bottom of my stock swingarm and i'm tired of the halfass chain adjustment feature. I can't afford a new carrier and swingarm (well the GF wont let me spend that money) so i have to go the cheap route. I am an experienced welder so i'm not afraid of the fabrication but i just wanted some input as to how its been done before and what you guys would do differently if you did it again.

I'm looking at JJ&A tubes too btw.

I have done a few of stock style swingers the way you are talking about. I just got them nice and flat on a good welding table and cut the stock tabs off the back notched the arm out so the round house fit in there good and welded it all up. They have turned out good and have held up just fine.

I have done a few of stock style swingers the way you are talking about. I just got them nice and flat on a good welding table and cut the stock tabs off the back notched the arm out so the round house fit in there good and welded it all up. They have turned out good and have held up just fine.

Could you get me a couple pics of how you did it? The couple pictures I've seen utilized the stock tabs and just did some grinding to let the tube fit but i would like to stay as close as possible to stock axle position.

I just looked through my photo bucket and I do not have any pictures of the ones I have done. I could take some pictures of a aftermarket one that was stock style and I changed it to round house when I get home tonight if you would like.

I actually cut mine back a little bit to fit it in there but I think what you are talking about doing would work great. I agree there is not need for all that metal on top and bottom. If you weld half way around that carrier piece then the pinch bolts are not really going to be able to squeeze it down much. I would cut it back to where you were welding no more than half of the carrier piece into the swing arm.

You can buy swingarm components from JJA if you want a cool rear tube with flames or design. Some of them are about $30. I have done em before, just need the carrier and brake plate and need to line up the sprockkets before welding it all up.