485. Cheetah pipes?

rebelrock

I run the BB in-frame shearers on my 485 cheetah. Mine is ported and runs on methanol though. I went with the BB pipe because the SB pipe holds too much heat. It all depends on your porting and setup and how you ride it. For a methanol dune bike I would never do the small-bore's. They hold WAY too much heat and cause detonation issues after the engine gets warmed up. Drag racing and hill-shooting is a different story. The BB shearers I have hit like a freight-train in the mid-range, which makes them perfect for the dunes. I love them, but like I said, my engine setup and the fuel I use for the riding I do is different than most people.

- Jared

Do you run a lot of timing and compression with your build?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you run a lot of timing and compression with your build?

We've actually tried it both ways, with a couple different sets of domes. No matter what setup we did the small-bore pipes would back plugs out after riding about 10min of riding.. We did 175lbs compression, 155lbs, 135lbs, +7, +4, Stock Timing. All the domes were cut by Tim @ Titan for alky. Once we moved over to the big-bore pipes the problem went away. (This was before I got this particular cheetah) Now that I have it, I'm running 150lbs compression, +4 timing, and the big-bore pipes. I am actually really happy with the big-bores on this setup. Between the small-bore shearers and the big-bores, the big-bores "feel" like they have a lot more mid-range and "feel" like they use the powervalves more. These cylinders have an aggressive dune port from Brandon @ Wildcard.

Jared

We've actually tried it both ways, with a couple different sets of domes. No matter what setup we did the small-bore pipes would back plugs out after riding about 10min of riding.. We did 175lbs compression, 155lbs, 135lbs, +7, +4, Stock Timing. All the domes were cut by Tim @ Titan for alky. Once we moved over to the big-bore pipes the problem went away. (This was before I got this particular cheetah) Now that I have it, I'm running 150lbs compression, +4 timing, and the big-bore pipes. I am actually really happy with the big-bores on this setup. Between the small-bore shearers and the big-bores, the big-bores "feel" like they have a lot more mid-range and "feel" like they use the powervalves more. These cylinders have an aggressive dune port from Brandon @ Wildcard.

Jared

thats interesting.... i have a 485 on gas, 155psi +8 timing, small bore shearers... no detonation, no problems....

Methanol makes a LOT more heat than gas.

Yeah, I was going to say it has to be fuel related. Because my 472-485-492 cheetah has gone through a lot of different configurations from un-ported to full drag porting to lowered dune timings and they all liked the Small bore pipes over the big bores. (I'm on 110 race fuel.)

With over 50 dyno runs I had pretty much nailed that choice down. But I don't run alky...so I can definitely see where that fuel choice would change the test parameters. That's why it's always good to know what the other guy is doing which HIS bike, when you get advice about what you should do with YOUR bike. ;)

Yeah, I was going to say it has to be fuel related. Because my 472-485-492 cheetah has gone through a lot of different configurations from un-ported to full drag porting to lowered dune timings and they all liked the Small bore pipes over the big bores. (I'm on 110 race fuel.)

With over 50 dyno runs I had pretty much nailed that choice down. But I don't run alky...so I can definitely see where that fuel choice would change the test parameters. That's why it's always good to know what the other guy is doing which HIS bike, when you get advice about what you should do with YOUR bike. ;)

It would be handy to have access to a dyno for some tuning options with this 485. I would really like to know if thats what it was that was causing the problems.

- Jared

• 1 month later...