the effing tick

Tick? Like the rattle sound? If you have roasted that many parts and havent found the cause you might want to. They wont fix themselves. Oh, and I sur ehope your motor assembley is better than your silencer mounting.

I have since fixed the silencer mount too, this video is old but the sound is what im really trying to figure out. All the bearings are new, the pistons and jugs are fresh, im just going nuts over this tick lol

Ive been through 3 top ends and two cranks and i still have this god damn tick. Is it normal? video related.

th_36100a9e.jpg

That many top ends and two cranks in what period of time. I mean that should be 5 year's worth of riding to be going through all that.

When you rebuild your shee are you doing a Leak Down Test ? I mean this is one of the absolute things you should be doing in order not to run the bike in a Lean condition. You run it lean it detonates and next thing you know your doing another top end rebuild.

I sell them and everyone should have one. It lets you know the general health of the engine. By not doing a leak down test is like going to get your teeth checked and they don't do x'ray's. You need to do it. Guarantee you would not be on your third top end rebuild if you where doing this.

Hope your good at constructive criticism.

3 top ends and 2 cranks?..........You better check your float height and go up a couple of main jet sizes.

That may not be your problem...but can you afford NOT to?

You can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result. :rolleyes:

What have you checked? Squish, ring gaps, piston clearances......does the piston hit the head at high RPM? Running the correct thickness base gaskets, Air leaks, fouled carbs, clogged gas cap breather, dirty filters, leak in your air box connection, dirt getting past the filters, are you boring cylinders and never re-chamfering the ports? Bad pipe connection at the motor. (Remember a bad pipe connection is an air leak.)

Ticks in a motor can be normal....but not if it always leads to a BOOM later. :shrugani:

3 top ends and 2 cranks?..........You better check your float height and go up a couple of main jet sizes.

That may not be your problem...but can you afford NOT to?

You can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result. :rolleyes:

What have you checked? Squish, ring gaps, piston clearances......does the piston hit the head at high RPM? Running the correct thickness base gaskets, Air leaks, fouled carbs, clogged gas cap breather, dirty filters, leak in your air box connection, dirt getting past the filters, are you boring cylinders and never re-chamfering the ports? Bad pipe connection at the motor. (Remember a bad pipe connection is an air leak.)

Ticks in a motor can be normal....but not if it always leads to a BOOM later. :shrugani:

That's some very thoughfull and good points John. I've been through 1 top end rebuild in almost 5 year's and still on original crank. I feel sorry for the op.