New Guy to the site and to banshees

I just registered because i just purchased yesterday a 1997 banshee that has some serious problems.. I bought the banshee for a whopping 450 bucks but i was told the motor is fucked and has a broken rod. I pulled off the exhaust today to look inside the cylinder and lots of scraps came out the exhaust and when u look u can see the damn piston is even turned sideways so obviously the 1 rod is snapped (oh joy)! So tomarrow i plan to fully pull the motor apart and see what kind of crazy damage the previous owner did.

From what i was told the motor is bored 60 over and the frame has been powdercoated other than that i dont know shit else about this quad...

If this thing needs a full top and bottom end rebuild how much money do you think im gonna have to spend on a rebuild kit? i have a cousin that does very good motor work and he plans to rebuild it all for me as long as i buy the parts....if you guys got any tips etc on what kind of full rebuild to get let me know! and do u think 450 was cheap for the quad?

I will be posting pics later

thanks

Trevor

ya i plan to tear into the motor tomarrow...on a general guess saying it needs all new everything how much would something like that cost?

heres a update with pics of the quad also! i really hope 450 wasnt a bad price i thought it was cheap. The quad has definately seen better days its for sure been road hard but i figured for 450 bucks i could sell it and get my money back if i decided to not rebuild it but i definatly plan to now it will give me a fun project to play with.

ya i plan to tear into the motor tomarrow...on a general guess saying it needs all new everything how much would something like that cost?

heres a update with pics of the quad also! i really hope 450 wasnt a bad price i thought it was cheap. The quad has definately seen better days its for sure been road hard but i figured for 450 bucks i could sell it and get my money back if i decided to not rebuild it but i definatly plan to now it will give me a fun project to play with.

How much?....well that depends on which way you want to go with it,is it ported,or stock...do you want it ported.there is so many roads you can go down,what kind of riding do you do,what do you ride,dirt,sand,coal?,whats the rest of the engine looks like,mechanicly wise,so many varibles involved,i would do some research and call one of our site sponsors and they will line you right out :cheers:

x5 on pics of the motor! im going to tell you this and alot of guys wont see it the same way as me but you take from this what you will. I wouldnt buy a stock stroke crank for it just go right to a 4mil or better. the reason i say this is i went from a stock setup, to ported cyls , then to a 4mil serval ( aftermarket mono block cyls made for dune/trail type riding) and i could have saved myself a ton of money just going with the 4mil right off the bat.

x5 on pics of the motor! im going to tell you this and alot of guys wont see it the same way as me but you take from this what you will. I wouldnt buy a stock stroke crank for it just go right to a 4mil or better. the reason i say this is i went from a stock setup, to ported cyls , then to a 4mil serval ( aftermarket mono block cyls made for dune/trail type riding) and i could have saved myself a ton of money just going with the 4mil right off the bat.

you're 100% right. I went 4 mil ported stockers, and I can't wait til I go cub. I wish someone told me this from the get go

i forgot it also has a full fmf exhaust

IMG_0417.jpg

I live on 5 acres of land out in country so it will be getting lots of trail riding. And ill be honest I also have a drag car so it wouldnt suprise me if i end up wanting to take it out to the dragstrip sometimes for kicks but other than that it will be getting a lot of riding on trails and gravel roads etc