case sealer?

True... I missed the original point. i actually just helped a friend split a case were they used a reg rtv that caused an air leak on the right cyl. Ive used the Hondabond, little easier to use than yamis

No sweat. I've never used Hondabond so I can't say anything bad about it. I am sure it works fine. I've always used Yamabond. i hear it is messier but I have learned a few tricks to deal with it and have never had a failure. So I look at it like this, if it aint broke, don't fix it. It works for me and I know what I am dealing with. Being comfortable with a product is a good thing. Doesn't make it better than the others necessarily. But I would never trust RTV even if the label said it was impervious to petroleum, only because I've seen bikes fail using it. I don't think the adhesion properties are adequate and I question their ability to stand up to the vibration. Maybei am all wet, but again, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I know what works and I am not about to venture into something questionable to save a few dollars or because I am out and can't get what I want at the local retailer. I'll spend the extra $2 (or more) and wait 3 days for it to get here and rest assured that when it comes time to ride, that's what I will be doing.

SP

I've split a many of cases since my ventures on here and advice I've gotten. Practically the local go to banshee guy now. Scary huh. Ultra Grey from your local auto supply store works best for the buck and will not deteriorate from gas n oil. I'd never use RTV for the above mentioned reasons. And I'd never pay 12 bucks for a tube of Ultra Grey renamed lol

good golly!!

rtv is 2 pegs above "import grey" it costs the SAME BUT import grey is DESIGNED to seal stuff like these cases..

use rtv and you WILL get a case leak if you dont think so i really dont give a crap

yamahabond hondabond whatever its all import grey. the stuff you can get at the auto parts stoooe is a better stuff i feel. no stringy bullshit.

for the price of that three bond crap i can buy 4 tubes of import grey.

good golly!!

rtv is 2 pegs above "import grey" it costs the SAME BUT import grey is DESIGNED to seal stuff like these cases..

use rtv and you WILL get a case leak if you dont think so i really dont give a crap

yamahabond hondabond whatever its all import grey. the stuff you can get at the auto parts stoooe is a better stuff i feel. no stringy bullshit.

I know, right? Buy em books and buy em books and all they wanna do is fuck the teacher. Some people just have to learn the hard way. Go use your RTV on your cases and learn from your own experiences, don't take anybody's word for it. Especially somebody like Cam, I mean he's only got 3600+ posts on here. He probably doesn't know shit.

SP

I know, right? Buy em books and buy em books and all they wanna do is fuck the teacher. Some people just have to learn the hard way. Go use your RTV on your cases and learn from your own experiences, don't take anybody's word for it. Especially somebody like Cam, I mean he's only got 3600+ posts on here. He probably doesn't know shit.

SP

Those 3600+ posts from cam, are from him probably bashing people. LOL

Those 3600+ posts from cam, are from him probably bashing people. LOL

When people wanna argue about stuff like using RTV to seal cases together because of a couple of bucks price difference, they kinda deserve a good bashing :confused: . Hell, even if the appropriate product was $20 difference in price, people might say "Dammit" but wouldn't risk a crank case air leak over the extra cost.

Besides, all bashing aside, Cam is good shit :)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SP

SP

Post count doesn't really mean much. It just means some of us are post whores. LOL! I've used RTV for years and years and never had a single problem. If you use the right stuff (says right on the label if it is gas/oil resistant or not) and let it set up for the proper amount of time and use it on clean cases it works fine. I've got bikes I've built using RTV that are still out on the dunes running great today. IMO the prep-work is just as important as the product you use. Clean cases are a must with any sealer. Right now I'm using threebond 1211 because I got a killer deal on a case of it, but I've used RTV with no problems, regardless of what cam and his post count say. haha!

Post count doesn't really mean much. It just means some of us are post whores. LOL! I've used RTV for years and years and never had a single problem. If you use the right stuff (says right on the label if it is gas/oil resistant or not) and let it set up for the proper amount of time and use it on clean cases it works fine. I've got bikes I've built using RTV that are still out on the dunes running great today. IMO the prep-work is just as important as the product you use. Clean cases are a must with any sealer. Right now I'm using threebond 1211 because I got a killer deal on a case of it, but I've used RTV with no problems, regardless of what cam and his post count say. haha!

I know there are post whores on here. However, Cam isn't one of them. As far as some RTV being impervious to fuel, can't say that I disagree with you just because I haven't seen it or used it. What I would say is that not all RTV is and with that I wouldn't recommend it simply because some poor unsuspecting soul may buy the wrong stuff (because it is $2 cheaper) and have issues such as have been discussed. Didn't mean to come across like I was disputing you (reading back it kinda sounds like that) just that I wouldn't use RTV simply because I have had good luck with another product and am comfortable with it. I agree with the prep work, in fact I'd say it is more important than the sealer used because if it isn't clean, nothing will seal it.

SP

good golly!!

I'm guessing that import grey is similar to the stuff I use. It's good shit reguardless.

I just honestly believe its better than RTV. I mean not saying you can't build a motor using RTV and have no issues. Just saying its a better choice IMHO. I spend a hour or two at least on prep work and I honestly believe that's what it boils down to.