popping radiator hose

katt68

My sons 99 Banshee is blowing the small rad hose that runs to the top right side of the radiator. The bike has been running fine. but after awhile the hose will pop off or burst spewing the coolant. Why am i getting a high pressure here? what is the problem? suggestions and ideas welcome.it does have a performace cool head on it....

As pete said you either have a bad o-ring if its an aftermarket head or you blew your head gasket on a stock head... If your up for it buy a aftermarket head with interchangable domes you will like the added performance.... Plus its one of the first things you buy when you want to start building the bike up... I'd also put a timing plate in it added comp and timing will make a huge difference in the bikes performance

As pete said you either have a bad o-ring if its an aftermarket head or you blew your head gasket on a stock head... If your up for it buy a aftermarket head with interchangable domes you will like the added performance.... Plus its one of the first things you buy when you want to start building the bike up... I'd also put a timing plate in it added comp and timing will make a huge difference in the bikes performance

yeah, i am thinking that too, it has an aftermarket head on it but i do not know what make the head is. there are no markings on it. so, i wish i knew the proper o-rings to get...any ideas?

yeah, i am thinking that too, it has an aftermarket head on it but i do not know what make the head is. there are no markings on it. so, i wish i knew the proper o-rings to get...any ideas?

These guys are pretty sharp on here and seem to know all when it comes to banshees. If one particular member doesn't have the answer they usually know where to point you on who does. So an idea I would suggest is to take as many clear and up close pictures from different angles that you can and put them in your next post so the members can see the head you're talking about. You never know........markings or not someone might be able to identify the head so you can get the proper o-ring replacement kit.

Edited by cline

first thing i would do is check the radiator cap i guess. it is supposed to be a pressure relief.

Well that would be the second thing wrong not the first. Unless there is a first problem....the cap wouldn't need to release any pressure. But yes. you would think you would be getting water out the overflow at least. If that isn't happening.....then you may have a cap issue on top of the original problem. If the cap was bad, you could throw "non functioning water pump" into the diagnostic list along with the o-ring/head gasket idea.

Well that would be the second thing wrong not the first. Unless there is a first problem....the cap wouldn't need to release any pressure. But yes. you would think you would be getting water out the overflow at least. If that isn't happening.....then you may have a cap issue on top of the original problem. If the cap was bad, you could throw "non functioning water pump" into the diagnostic list along with the o-ring/head gasket idea.

yup all that and does the hose have clamps on it>>

As for O rings there are 2, maybe 3 different sets that I know of. Trinity, which you would know if thats what your head was because they put their name and/or"Stage IV" all over their junk. Noss and Chariot heads take the same O rings and I am not positive but I think Pro Design is the same also. So if you get a set of Orings from a sponsor that fit Noss, Chariot, Pro Design you should be set. You should also check your pressure cap to see why it is not relieving pressure before the hose pops.

As for O rings there are 2, maybe 3 different sets that I know of. Trinity, which you would know if thats what your head was because they put their name and/or"Stage IV" all over their junk. Noss and Chariot heads take the same O rings and I am not positive but I think Pro Design is the same also. So if you get a set of Orings from a sponsor that fit Noss, Chariot, Pro Design you should be set. You should also check your pressure cap to see why it is not relieving pressure before the hose pops.

Then figure out WHY your O-rings blew before you go and do it again. :unsure: