Looking for a good gasoline proof sealant.

KarTek

Hey, I got a Pingel valve from a member here and I'm going to install it this weekend.

Couple of mods I'm doing - One, there's no screen on the valve so I'm installing a couple serviceable fuel screens in the lines going to the carbs. Two, I'm making my own billet flange for the valve to connect to the bottom of the tank because I don't really care for the thinner aluminum flange that comes with the valve. This is also going to allow me to use the stock tank outlets and merge them into one for the valve.

Now, I don't have a gasket so what is a good, fuel proof sealant I can use in place of a gasket to protect the jount between the valve flange and the tank?

Thanks!

If it were me I wouldn't use any filters on the fuel line. There is a reason Pingel doesn't put them on and I am guessing the reason you are using one is to increase flow. A filter will restrict flow and that could cause problems depending on fuel demand. If you check with most of the guys on here thatgive credible advise, I bet you'll find that they don't run filters either. I would rather flush any debri through the motor than have one filter clog and stomp fuel to that cylinder while the other cylinder continued to run. That is a recipe for siezure. JMHO.

SP

If it were me I wouldn't use any filters on the fuel line. There is a reason Pingel doesn't put them on and I am guessing the reason you are using one is to increase flow. A filter will restrict flow and that could cause problems depending on fuel demand. If you check with most of the guys on here thatgive credible advise, I bet you'll find that they don't run filters either. I would rather flush any debri through the motor than have one filter clog and stomp fuel to that cylinder while the other cylinder continued to run. That is a recipe for siezure. JMHO.

SP

Having one cylinder go lean while the other runs is definitely a valid concern.

The valve originally had a screen on it but it was gone on the one I got. The "filters" I got are just stainless strainers with probably the same mesh as the stock screen. Having 2, I would hazard a guess that the volume of fuel per unit area of filter media is much less than the stocker.

There was a lot of crud in the bottom of the tank and I'd rather not have that going through the small passages in the carbs.

Edited by KarTek

7010007_elc_380112_pri_larg.jpg

walmart and autozone carry it, ive used it to seal off leaky carbs on my trucks before, never had issues

I went to my local Wal-mart and they didn't carry it, Damn

I need a tube of this too.

your first problem is you went to walmart.

Your right, I really don't go in that store very often but that's where he said you can get it. Oh well I'll go to Autozone.

7010007_elc_380112_pri_larg.jpg

walmart and autozone carry it, ive used it to seal off leaky carbs on my trucks before, never had issues

Go here and Under "Product Description" is a good Description of what product does.

http://www.amazon.com/Eclectic-Products-380012-Seal-Adhesive/dp/B0000AXYZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330809369&sr=8-1

I just picked up a tube at Autozone. We'll see how it works.

Hey Evan,

How many ounces was the tube and what did it cost ?

Thanks.

Hey Evan,

How many ounces was the tube and what did it cost ?

Thanks.

It's 2 ounces, packaged just the picture above. I think I paid 4 dollars and change.

It's 2 ounces, packaged just the picture above. I think I paid 4 dollars and change.

Thanks Buddy,

I think I'll roll to Autozone tomorrow and pick a tube up.

keep the big screen on the tank. use yamabond to seal it if you like, the pingles i get have a big rubber gasket that goes inbetween the tank and the flange.

that seal all looks aight might have to try it!

If you have a piece of inner tube Rubber that will make a gasket too. That will Handel more vibration than sealant. It may get hard and crack.

I bought a desert tank that was warped at the valve flange so I sanded it with some 220 on a flat steel scrap. Never leaked after that.