fried it before i could ride

I finally got my first banshee last week, it had a lil ping or knock coming from the clutch side when i got it so i checked for anything loose that might be the cause. far as i was told its all stock w/ new top end (heard that one before!!!). so i upped the mains for the cold and cleaned the carbs then it wouldnt fire up. new plugs and a little premix would get it to run a little so i checked comp 65 on clutch side 90 other so new top end but my questio is would coolant leaking into the head cuase it to fry the rings and get so low comp w a supposed new top end? i pulled the head and deffinately coolant in there so while im at it was gonna do all new seals too in case that was the cuase.

I didi drain the cylinders. I already started ordering parts for my rebuild, the pistons are stock so im gonna check around for someone to bore them soon as i see if these have the nikasil like mybike does. Iim not gonna worry about the coolant leak until its back together when i can do a leakdown. Plus i think i found out how the coolant was getting in....through some pretty deep scratches on the head, looks like they used a awl to scrape the old gasket!!!

I didi drain the cylinders. I already started ordering parts for my rebuild, the pistons are stock so im gonna check around for someone to bore them soon as i see if these have the nikasil like mybike does. Iim not gonna worry about the coolant leak until its back together when i can do a leakdown. Plus i think i found out how the coolant was getting in....through some pretty deep scratches on the head, looks like they used a awl to scrape the old gasket!!!

stock has no nikasil

If the head is mangled that bad id just buy a nice used stock head and be done with it. they are cheap and lots of them around heck i have one i just took of my bike if your interested. a leaking head gasket could also be a cause of low compression id get a different head or machine your old one then run a compression test again and also a leakdown just to make sure you weren't losing compression due to a blown gasket. if they come back the same then i would look into rebuilding your top end. What condition are your cylinder walls and piston rings in. any pics? some times a quik look at the obvious damage will tell you enough. good luck with your bike.

heres some pics...

Clutch side was at 60psi and is loose in the cylinder, left side was not and had 90psi. Bike was said to have a new top end but looks to me like it was a cheapest possible fix to get it back running because one piston has 63.95 on top and the other does not Ok well its telling me the file was too big and not sure how to shrink it. Gonna pull the cylinders tomorrow and see how the rest looks...for now im back to digging through old posts have found alot of good info on here...thanx

couldn't see the cylinders very well in the pics but I can tell you this with the damage done to the squish band area in your head your gonna want a new head. They are cheap though. and if your noticing differences in the parts from one cylinder to the other I'd rebuild your top end for sure. Sorry for your bad luck. also if your going to get a new head and can afford it look into a cool head several site sponsors sell them on here and they will allow you to run differnt omes to change your compression ratio. Great mod for the money if your gonna buy a new head anyways.

talk to F.A.S.T, a site sponsor... you can either send him your head and he'll machine it for you (think he said shaves $10.00 off cost) or you can buy one from him that's already machined... think it ran around $55. I was going to send him mine but when I pulled it off it was in pristine condition and didn't really warrant the $$$$ this build...

heres some pics...

Clutch side was at 60psi and is loose in the cylinder, left side was not and had 90psi. Bike was said to have a new top end but looks to me like it was a cheapest possible fix to get it back running because one piston has 63.95 on top and the other does not Ok well its telling me the file was too big and not sure how to shrink it. Gonna pull the cylinders tomorrow and see how the rest looks...for now im back to digging through old posts have found alot of good info on here...thanx

Just a little update.... pulled the jugs to do the top end tonight and found my left side piston skirt or what was left of it rattling around in the stock pipe. Next was right side, nothing rattling in the pipe but the whole skirt was gone. WTF So, instead of putting new parts on and possibly f_ing them up gonna open it up and see if I can find the rest of my skirt LOL While I got it all open up I was thinkin of doing a 4mill. but this is a alll stock bike and not sure what all needs to be done to support the 4mill? Im thinking pipes and vforce3 reeds. Or should i do a port job w/ pipes? Mostly I ride trails but sand when I get the chance