Trail tech computer

sootman73

Is a computer from trail tech worth buying? i've done searches on here and some people like them and others seem to have nothing but headaches with them. I found a vapor new on ebay for under $100. Whats the consensus?

I loved my Vapor. Never had a single issue with it. I ran BR8ES spark plugs, and followed the install directions. Everything worked flawlessly. I ran a 10AH battery, that I didn't have to charge for 2 seasons, but you can also use a regular 9v battery. Just carry a spare with you.

Seems like most people who have issues with them use a different type of spark plug.

Is a computer from trail tech worth buying? i've done searches on here and some people like them and others seem to have nothing but headaches with them. I found a vapor new on ebay for under $100. Whats the consensus?

My wife bought me one for Christmas because sometime last year I mearly mentioned that it would be cool to have for the Banshee. If was a surprise on Christmas morning to see that she bought it for me but then I started reading all the stuff you had to do and that half of them don't work right anyway. And One guy took his Banshee to Trail Tech because he couldn't get it to work right and Trail Tech tried to get it to work to the extent of trying two more new ones right out of the boxes and still couldn't get something to work. They ended up giving the guy his money back and that was all I needed to read. I sent the thing back for a full refund and got something else instead.

So I literally did not even take it out of the Box. :wacko:

Well that really evens it up! <_< i dont know of any better way to keep track of the temps and also have a speedo though. and the data is recordable on the vapor isn't it?

They may have worked out the Bugs in it.

I would call Trail Tech and mention my story to them. They will remember and ask if the bugs are worked out of it.

My wife bought me one for Christmas because sometime last year I mearly mentioned that it would be cool to have for the Banshee. If was a surprise on Christmas morning to see that she bought it for me but then I started reading all the stuff you had to do and that half of them don't work right anyway. And One guy took his Banshee to Trail Tech because he couldn't get it to work right and Trail Tech tried to get it to work to the extent of trying two more new ones right out of the boxes and still couldn't get something to work. They ended up giving the guy his money back and that was all I needed to read. I sent the thing back for a full refund and got something else instead.

So I literally did not even take it out of the Box. :wacko:

I am the guy that took his bike to Trail Tech, and you are half right. I took the bike up there twice and they could not get the Vapor to work correctly. They tried 2 different head units and also gave me an extra set of sensors to try. I had the engineer/designer of the Vapor working on it along with 2 service techs. In between the 2 times the bike was there, I decided that I did not need a tachometer(that was what I was having problems with). So on the second visit, they said they would GIVE me a Vector unit(same thing except no tach) and I could keep the Vapor unit. In addition, they gave me one of their terminal and crimper kits for my trouble. The Vector unit has worked flawlessly for 4+ years. Trail Tech went the extra mile to help me and I have no complaints. No, they did not give me my money back, because I did not ask them to. Most people seem to have no problems as long as they use a resistor plug. When I get time, I am going to try the Vapor on the wife's bike and see if it works on it. I picked up power on the yellow wire coming from the stator that supplies the headlight switch and voltage regulator and the Vector has performed flawlessly hooked up this way.

I am the guy that took his bike to Trail Tech, and you are half right. I took the bike up there twice and they could not get the Vapor to work correctly. They tried 2 different head units and also gave me an extra set of sensors to try. I had the engineer/designer of the Vapor working on it along with 2 service techs. In between the 2 times the bike was there, I decided that I did not need a tachometer(that was what I was having problems with). So on the second visit, they said they would GIVE me a Vector unit(same thing except no tach) and I could keep the Vapor unit. In addition, they gave me one of their terminal and crimper kits for my trouble. The Vector unit has worked flawlessly for 4+ years. Trail Tech went the extra mile to help me and I have no complaints. No, they did not give me my money back, because I did not ask them to. Most people seem to have no problems as long as they use a resistor plug. When I get time, I am going to try the Vapor on the wife's bike and see if it works on it. I picked up power on the yellow wire coming from the stator that supplies the headlight switch and voltage regulator and the Vector has performed flawlessly hooked up this way.

were you running resistor plugs then when the vapor wouldn't work on your bike? And did they try that? Sounds like if it doesn't work on my bike they will make it right so i guess its really no risk.

Now did you buy yours directly from trail tech? or third party?

were you running resistor plugs then when the vapor wouldn't work on your bike? And did they try that? Sounds like if it doesn't work on my bike they will make it right so i guess its really no risk.

Now did you buy yours directly from trail tech? or third party?

Yes I was running resistor plugs. I actually bought mine off of Ebay. Trail Tech is about 45 mins from my house. Ask yourself if you really need/want a tach, I found that it is very difficult to read the tach when you are trying to watch the terrain in front of you. That was why I was agreeable(wanted, I actually suggested trading the Vapor for a Vector but they just gave it to me) to go with the Vector over the Vapor, they are the same thing except the Vector has none of the RPM functions. This was over 4 years ago, they may have figured out the problem and/or might not be as willing to help you out as much. My point has always been that I had a problem and they went the extra mile to make sure I was happy with their product

I love mine. I use it to tune my riding style so that know how to ride my bike to get the temp down when needed. I also like how you can choose the colored lights as shift indicators (set by you based on your liking of rpm) other than that your not going to look at much on the screen....especially in 6th. I you are looking alot (no offense) your a liability to our sport and a danger to everyone around you. Last thing we need is someone going 70 mph on a quad looking down...

I love mine. I use it to tune my riding style so that know how to ride my bike to get the temp down when needed. I also like how you can choose the colored lights as shift indicators (set by you based on your liking of rpm) other than that your not going to look at much on the screen....especially in 6th. I you are looking alot (no offense) your a liability to our sport and a danger to everyone around you. Last thing we need is someone going 70 mph on a quad looking down...

Well 6th gear isn't very fast when you run country roads and cover 10 miles at a time. you can ride with one hand on the bars as smooth as it is. But I think ill order it today and see how I like it. And thanks for the reply! :headbang:

Here's what I've Figured out for my power supply. Should make a nice secure waterproof place to put two batteries.

Battery holder

http://www.allparts.com/18-Volt-Battery-Compartment-p/ep-2931-023.htm

Box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200688513013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1505wt_1037