High output stator

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. So I've done some more research and with that and the advice here I've come up with a couple to choose from although I think they may come out of the same factory anyway. From what I read on the Electrosport version I will need to run 2 regulators to get the full power from the lighting windings. How do you then run that supply to the lights? Splice it or separate feeds to each light?

What to go for? Here are the links:

Electrosport

Moose Racing

Thanks.

Man, for what you're going to spend on upgrading to those lights and upgrading your stator. I could set you up with 4 LED lights, and you'd have 2x the amount of light, and using only 40 watts of power, leaving you room for two more if you choose. You'd be able to use your stock stator, and just do a DC conversion with a battery... Just my two cents.

Those aftermarket stators are notoriously unreliable unless they are re-wound....

This is two of my LED lights in the stock location.

3fbc7ad1.jpg

I don't really want the hassle of mounting a battery as I want to keep the stock air box for wet weather. But if I did and ran a stock stator with DC conversion and battery I would be more inclined to go HID Lightforce 140 Lance. What would be ideal is somebody who makes AC LED lights that will bolt straight on because as from what I hear, converting to DC will lose some output capacity of the stator by 15%. Not sure exactly, I just like to keep it simple is all.

I don't really want the hassle of mounting a battery as I want to keep the stock air box for wet weather. But if I did and ran a stock stator with DC conversion and battery I would be more inclined to go HID Lightforce 140 Lance. What would be ideal is somebody who makes AC LED lights that will bolt straight on because as from what I hear, converting to DC will lose some output capacity of the stator by 15%. Not sure exactly, I just like to keep it simple is all.

What is the draw towards lightforce lights? There are much better quality lights, and a lot better looking lights in my opinion than the lightforce ones. LED's aren't for everyone, however the longevity of LED's are nearly 100x that of HID's and Halogens, so keep that in mind as well.

We measured an output of a stock stator on DC as 69.6 watts at 8,000 RPM, as opposed to 72.7 watts on AC current. It's a minimal loss, and you gain power stability. Even if you are running halogen bulbs, you GREATLY benefit from a DC Conversion and a battery. Keeps your lights from dimming when you idle, as well as allow you to run your lights when you're parked. In my opinion the DC conversion is a MUST for anyone running any type of aftermarket light.

Also, MOST, not all 35w HID's at 5200-5500K, measured roughly 3300 lumens. That's a little less than 100 lumens per watt. Right on par with the LED's, which will soon greatly surpass HID output (Cree actually has a 15w LED that emits 2200 Lumens). HID technology is actually VERY old. HID lights (HPS, or MH) have been used in streetlights since the mid 70's.

It's totally up to you, but if you're dead set on either HID or halogens, I would shop around for a higher quality light that maybe looks a little better... just my two cents...

The main reason I want to go with the Lightforce 140 is because they are renowned here in Australia to be one of the toughest lights for off-road use. Constructed with composite and polycarbonate materials they will survive the toughest conditions. I just don't want something that will smash, fall apart or vibrate out of adjustment on rough trails. Some of my buddies have fitted other halogen lights on their Raptors and are constantly tightening up the bolts or getting smashed lenses. As for their appearance, they measure only slightly larger in diameter and if mounted in the stock location will sit about an inch higher. I actually like the look of the stock size lights over the smaller Trail Tech or similar style.

I realize that LED lifetime is far superior to anything else and is probably the most efficient form of lighting. It's just I find sometimes LED lighting while bright can look too white, just my opinion. Just so many options I guess. Yeah I guess it would be good to be able to turn the lights on with the engine off but so would reverse lol.

Edited by SpecialEd 05