won't stay running

11AGUY

have a totally stock 2003 Banhsee..... pulled carbs apart, cleaned, have factory #200 main and factory pilot... turned the screw on the outside of the 2.0 turns out... got the bike running for a few seconds and then died when I didn't give it a little throttle.... bike sounds weird, muffled almost.... I let it warm up for a few on choke, then with the choke in but it would die when I didn't give it gas.... put in gear drove for a 100 feet and then died....

nothing has ever been done to this bike, top end is original and still have TORS....

is it a jetting problem???, both carbs have been cleaned and work well.... I am running 93 octane with Maxima Castor 927....

any suggestions

First off I would get rid of those tors. It may not be the problem but sure isn't helping anything. To me it sounds like it could be a jetting issue or apart like its being starved of fuel. Whats the temp and elevation your at. You might want to check that your getting good fuel flow and check the fuel filter.

500 feet above sea level in Connecticut... just put on a fresh fuel filter yesterday and fuel is definitely flowing freely.... 43 degrees out right now

Edited by 11AGUY

Just did a compression test... 60 in one and 90 on the other...manual stated kick 4 times until it peaks and it should climb with each kick... It stated that if it didn't on one kick and then jumped in the next, it indicates valve issues... Maybe the reeds

Top end rebuild time- Just to give you a idea- stock compression is like 120-125ish

My bike ran great even when the compression went down to 110 in each cylinder-

Get in touch with one of our site sponsors.

Tell them whats going on, and they will get you all squared away.

Joe

yeah I was shocked to see those #'s... especially when the number's should be in the 120ish range... did it three times on each cylinder and got the same readings.... I literally purchased the compression tester this afternoon from autozone... gonna grab my buddies tomorrow and see if I get the same readings... ordered a new set of reeds... I think their completely shot and are causing some problems... regardless, the engine has never been overhauled so it's probably time....

Yeah, I wouldnt worry about the reeds yet. Do the top end first and buy a Clymers manual, it will help you immensely on your journey to becoming one with your machine, lol. Top end is pretty cheap to do, a little research and youll be off to the races. If reeds are needed after, buy a used /new set from one of the guys on here, theyll be way cheaper than from the dealership.

Yeah after I cleaned my carbs the 1st time and then had the float hang on me, I pulled the leaky carb and saw that it was all gummed up at the main jet... Guy at the machine shop said with compression that low I might need to bore... He said once I gave him the top end he'd know right away...gonna do everything new including the reeds and upgrade the main and pilot... Is the clymers manual any good??? Detailed more than the service manual... I have been getting a lot of good stuff on you tube and a few banshee sites

to do a more accurate compression test you need to kick until the needle stops climbing (could take 2 kicks or it could take 10) and while your doing this you need to be holding the throttle WIDE OPEN.....otherwise it will give you a false reading. i think this could be what is half causing your reading numbers as i dont know if you would even be able to get it to start when you kick it over with 60psi and 90 psi in the cylinders...

i'll do that and check the readings again.... I haven't rode in like 15 years, but when I was trying to kick it over I felt no resistance what so ever, felt like 0 compression and i actually couldn't believe the thing started.... I have already doubled what I initially thought it was going to cost to get her up to par... shouldn't complain, I got it for free.... my wife's cousin just rode it and never did anything to it.....

ok just pushed it down by hand and felt some resistance, I wish i would have known about the throttle thing yesterday... does anyone know how many turn the air screw on the side of the carb is suppose to be turned out?? I think it was 2 turns out... is that 2 360 degree turns??? so if I do wind up having above 100 psi in each cylinder it's a carb issue??? bike just sounded really muffled and powerless... dirty pilot jets???