getting a title to my banshee?

blubyyou

I purchased my 03 banshee as a totally trashed bike lol....it didn't have a title, so I fixed up a bill of sale that we both signed and had notorized. Since then I swapped out cases for 06 cases and I would like to find an 06 frame with a title so I can make it an 06 model. I was thinking about buying an 06 replacement frame from Yamaha (if they still make them) but I know they do not come with vin #'s. My question would be, how would I go about getting a title for a replacement frame? Do they provide you with a new MSO when I purchase a new frame? Or will the DMV buck me on this if I try to take it in and get the frame titled since I have no title now. I just don't want to piss away 500-600 for no reason only to find out I can't get a title! If I could find a nice 06 frame with a title....problem solved!!! I tried getting a title for my current 03 frame but the DMV was VERY LACKING in trying to help me track down the previously "titled" owner. Guess I can contact my state trooper neighbor....he'd do a vin check for me as a favor to track down the previous titled owner (although I doubt it was ever titled, most likely just an MSO). Sorry for rambling on....I would just like to get a title to my 03 frame....making it an 06 would be a huge plus though. I'm sure someone has been in my situation before....thanks for the help.

ya thatd worry me to but thats why ya do it before ya put it together i know here if ya part a car or rec vehicle together to you can apply for a title and theyll give ya one if nothing reported stolen so you just call the sheriff and have em run vin cheaks and ur all good

\

ya thatd worry me to but thats why ya do it before ya put it together i know here if ya part a car or rec vehicle together to you can apply for a title and theyll give ya one if nothing reported stolen so you just call the sheriff and have em run vin cheaks and ur all good

\

from my experience..our DMV (PENNDOT) doesn't handle quads and dirtbikes..we have something called DCNR DEPT of CONSERVATION AND NATIONAL RESOURCES..anyway they handle all those issues..and I had da same issue u had..they did some thing called a "title search".. if the previous owner does not respond to them in 30 days..they would send me a registration form and I would pay taxes on how much I bout the bike for...100$ (hint hint)..so hopefully this could work for you...

Thanks everyone. I live in West Virginia and our dmv hates atv's it seems. I will check into this and dnr thing as well. I can do an auto check at work too..similar to carfax...should give me a little info as to the dealer that sold it and where it was originally titled. Time for a little work on my part. I only pulled 11 digits on the vin "3GG03-041123". I think I'm missing 8 more #'s ???!!!

it would suck if they did reply for an abandoned title.....they I'd have to strip my bike to give them a frame lol. I know I'd love to just find an 06 frame!!!!!! That would be too simple though....

No they would get everything, not just a frame. You build a banshee out of parts with a frame that is hot. When it gets impounded / repoed you loose the whole thing, not just the frame.

I know...I was being a sarcastic lol. I know they will take it ALL no questions asked other than me buying stolen property. Well, I went and checked again and only 11 digits for a vin. Looks as if someone ordered a replacement frame from Yamaha...now what?! I think I'm screwed and just need to find an 06 frame with a title!

Thanks everyone. I live in West Virginia and our dmv hates atv's it seems. I will check into this and dnr thing as well. I can do an auto check at work too..similar to carfax...should give me a little info as to the dealer that sold it and where it was originally titled. Time for a little work on my part. I only pulled 11 digits on the vin "3GG03-041123". I think I'm missing 8 more #'s ???!!!

That sounds like the engine case number..vin should b on true lower lft side of the frame...almost under the gear shifter

maybe off subject but what about titiling a home built chassis?

This is commonly done with street rods, trailers, etc. You take the vehicle and a whole stack of receipts (steel, wheels, tires, motor, axles, wiring, etc.) to DMV. They inspect it, keep the receipts, and put a tag on the frame that has an assigned vin number. Then it is licensed as an assembled vehicle. I would really like to try to do this with a Banshee and license it as a "car" to drive on the streets. In Oregon 3 wheels can be a motorcycle, but 4 wheels is a car. Would need windshield, wiper, fenders, turn signals, horn, speedo, and seat belt. Would be a lot of work, and DMV could still say GTFO when you show up with your "car".