resleeving ported stock cylinders

Wondering if anyone can resleeve ported cylinders and if it is worth it or not. Or should I just save up and get cub cylinders.

Wondering if anyone can resleeve ported cylinders and if it is worth it or not. Or should I just save up and get cub cylinders.

when cylinders are ported, its the sleeve that gets ported.. yea the transfer tunnels and intakes get cut on ( aluminum part) but changing the port timings on the sleeve is the main goal.. so.. with new sleeves you are back to stock porting... get a cub if thats the ype of power u want..

Yes you can resleeve stock ported cylinders. Weather it is worth it is kind of up to you. Are you 100% happy with the port work?

I had a set of 4mill stock cylinders drag ported by Patriot Racing. I bought them dirt cheap because they had a crack sleeved. I sent them back to Patriot Racing to have them resleeved with big bore sleeves. The sleeves that were installed were 66mm to 68mm. They were not the huge 68-70 or 72mm sleeves. I had about $650 in the top end by the time is was was done. It wasnt any more than if I purchased a set of stock cylinders at $200 then paid for a port job. People say that big bore sleeves choak the transfers but mine did not. There was still aluminum against the sleeve in the transfer ports.

So if your happy with your cylinders and would buy another set and have them ported by the same guy then it might be worth it.

Thanx yall, guess ill price it out both ways Monday and see were I'm at. These cylinders ran hard but I only got a couple of rides on them before a crank bearing sht the bed. I'd hate to set em aside.

Yes you can resleeve stock ported cylinders. Weather it is worth it is kind of up to you. Are you 100% happy with the port work?

I had a set of 4mill stock cylinders drag ported by Patriot Racing. I bought them dirt cheap because they had a crack sleeved. I sent them back to Patriot Racing to have them resleeved with big bore sleeves. The sleeves that were installed were 66mm to 68mm. They were not the huge 68-70 or 72mm sleeves. I had about $650 in the top end by the time is was was done. It wasnt any more than if I purchased a set of stock cylinders at $200 then paid for a port job. People say that big bore sleeves choak the transfers but mine did not. There was still aluminum against the sleeve in the transfer ports.

So if your happy with your cylinders and would buy another set and have them ported by the same guy then it might be worth it.

Agreed. In the past I have mentioned a choking situation with the transfers. However I need to clarify my view. It's not that the sleeve is choking down the transfers, it is the issue that the transfers kinda max out flow and it just isn't quite enough to take advantage of those added CC's and really shine above 421+ . So the 65-68mm big bore sleeve would work excellent, while one of the 68+mm sleeves wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Should I go with a bb sleeve or not!! So what I'm gathering is that the performance won't be noticable therefore stay stock bore for added boring in the future?

Yes you can and it shouldnt cost much more than a normal resleeve job. When they resleve a stock cylinder they just keep boring the cylinder out until all the sleeve is removed and the proper diameter has been achieved. They just have to go a little further for a big bore sleeve.

You will have to find a piston to run. Most of the time you use blaster pistons. This will require you to run a long rod crank. Ethire stock stroke or 4mill. You will also need a cool head with a set of big bore blaster piston domes.

In all honestly if your wanting a top end dune port you would be better of getting a Sevral cylinder. Now if your looking for a mid range or low end port job then resleeving your stock cylinders would be an option.

The sleeve isn't bored out.. its pressed. once you resleeve a cylinder.. you run into problems with the sleeves falling.. Personally.. I wouldn't resleeve unless you know someone who can do it right and cheap.. the best option is plating. The problem I've had in the past with my Big bore sleeves is that the OD of the sleeves further reduces the tranfer volume. If the OD of the aftermarket sleeve is larger then a OE.. then your loose area. There isn't much power to be gained from big bore sleeves.. you'll have better increase in power by going to a 4mil crank and having the timings corrected.

I thought the stock cylinders had the sleeves cast in the aluminum cylinder so you could not press the OEM sleeve out. It had to be bored out.

Yes there is other ways to make more power for cheaper. I am just saying if your going to buy a new set of stock cylinders and send them back to the guy who did porting on your old cylinders. You could have the guy resleeve your bad cylinders with big bore sleeves. Thus gaining a little something vs. have exactly what you have alread had.

66-68mm big bore sleeve. There is still aluminum next to the sleeve so the size of the transfer port has not been reduced.

LH11.jpg

Sleeve almost goes to the cylinder head bolt holes.

LH12.jpg

Edited by jbooker82

Another option is to find a cheap used cyl and have it ported to match...?? Prolly cheapest route! Who ported them? Maybe get with a builder and see what can be done.. We may have a used cyl in stock which side do you need? Give us a ring. I personally dont care for the BIg bore sleeves. Just my .02

Yes, that may be an option. I will give yall a call this week. And I am alreadry running blaster pistons with the 4 mill long rod. If I can get away with just replacing and port matching one cly and replacing the bearing on the crank that would be a lot cheaper. I just want to do the right thing and not screw myself in the longrun. The only thing is these cylinders have had the trnsfers welded. That may be a problem.