Billet Clutch Basket Assembly question

jd250r

Bikebandit shows it like starwriter said. When looking at it sitting on the gear you should be looking at the inside of the cone of the washer not the dome of it. Thats the best way i can think to explain it.

Uh, I hate to disagree with Coupe, but the conical washer goes between the gear and the backing plate with the concave side towards the backing plate. There is even a recess in the gear for it to sit in. Check out the pics about halfway down this page.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129761

I disassembled the basket again & re assembled it the way it's described in the link you provided. Everything is tight now but the conical washer is just in there loosely. Is it suppose to be in there free like that? What's the purpose of the conical washer?

Bikebandit shows it like starwriter said. When looking at it sitting on the gear you should be looking at the inside of the cone of the washer not the dome of it. Thats the best way i can think to explain it.

I didnt see the installation diagram of the basket on bike bandit. All it showed me was the primary drive gear & basket but not how the washer goes on the back of the primary gear.

Its purpose is to provide tension to keep slop out. technical name is a belleville washer. my hinson was just barely snug.

Ok...The basket that I brought from a member on here didnt come with the gasket but it did have the belleville washer. The washer is just in there freely & it seems if I had the gasket installed it would make up the extra space that is causing the washer to move freely. Is it a must to run the gasket & washer on the aftermarket baskets? From the link Starwriter posted, I took it as AKheathen was saying it is your preference to use the gasket or not. It was not to much mention about the washer other than a member name bigborebanshee stating that you can omit the gasket & washer as they are not needed with the aftermarket baskets. Is this true? Im just being precautious cause I dont want to shatter everything on the clutch side.

The gasket would tighten it up a bit. However, it's common for the spring washer to wear a groove in the backing plate. That's why in that link I posted, he flipped the stock backing plate over. If yours is already countersunk for the bolts, that's not an option. I would imagine that the spring washer wears some too. If I were you, I would try to tighten it up somehow. Either with newer parts(Gasket, backing plate, washer) or by sanding down the bolt bosses on the basket with sandpaper on glass, drill press table, or granite.

The gasket would tighten it up a bit. However, it's common for the spring washer to wear a groove in the backing plate. That's why in that link I posted, he flipped the stock backing plate over. If yours is already countersunk for the bolts, that's not an option. I would imagine that the spring washer wears some too. If I were you, I would try to tighten it up somehow. Either with newer parts(Gasket, backing plate, washer) or by sanding down the bolt bosses on the basket with sandpaper on glass, drill press table, or granite.

Thanks Starwriter...I rather buy new gasket & washer for piece of mind. You know who would stock these parts?