Anyone Actually Seen Or Heard Of A J-Arm Tweaking A Frame?

bansh_88

Has anyone here ever witnessed or personally heard of someone tweaking their Banshees frame as a direct result of having J-arms instead of A-arms on their Banshee??

I tried searching for an answer on this but found nothing so far. I did see a lot of unfavorable opinions on the J-arms, yet havent come across anything concrete that suggests J-arms are really anything bad other than the bushing wearing out a little faster than on the A-arms. I hear stuff as far as less strength and tweaking frames, yet when I look at my J-arms, and then on my brother A-arms, I cannot believe how much MORE durable and beefier the J-arms appear.

SO does anyone have any actual personal experiences on their J-arm banshees or personally heard from a close acquaintance of a J-arm owner having any negative experiences from J-arms?

They could be horrible for all I know, but so far it all looks mostly like assumptions and nothing concrete based on actual personal experiences.

Just wondering about this one. Thanks!!!!!!!

:cheers:

I'm pretty positive a-arm frames and j-arm frames are identical with the exception of the j/a-arms. The only "benefit" to a j-arm frame is it's a little lighter. I think by about 10lbs give or take. The only "weak" point of a j-arm frame are the j-arms themselves but there are aftermarket options.

Yea but look at where they mount to the frame. The j arm is narrower. This allows the j arm to have more leverage agaist the frame (say if you hit a tree with a front tire). The A arm is wider so the force is spred out over a wider distance. It doesnt really have anything do do with the regular impacts (Up and down from bumbps) it gets from riding. Try to visualize hiitng some thing sold with a front tire.

It is like using a wider stance when weight lifting or playing football.

You can damage ethire one if you do it right.

Edited by jbooker82

I have an 89. After bending 1 J arm and replacing it with a stocker, I decided to upgrade to a set of LSR upper D arms and lower A arms. I did this when I did a complete frame up build with new plastics, seat , chrome and polished billet, etc. The first trip out after the makeover, I stood it up on the back end, came off the seat and the bike continued on. After it went aways it flopped over sideways. When I got it back on its wheels, my left wheel had a bunch of negative camber. I finally figured out why, the upper and lower control arm mounts had been tweaked sideways relative to each other. But this was a result of having arms that were much stronger than stock and finding the next weak point in the chain. All that being said, my wife bent her A arm in the same manner.

Yea but look at where they mount to the frame. The j arm is narrower. This allows the j arm to have more leverage agaist the frame (say if you hit a tree with a front tire). The A arm is wider so the force is spred out over a wider distance. It doesnt really have anything do do with the regular impacts (Up and down from bumbps) it gets from riding. Try to visualize hiitng some thing sold with a front tire.

It is like using a wider stance when weight lifting or playing football.

You can damage ethire one if you do it right.

I get that but I don't see it happening with stock j-arms. The stocker should bend before the frame. With that said, apparently an aftermarket j/d-arm will tweak the frame so I guess what needs to be decided is what the frame is going to be used for. Open duning, hill shooting or drag racing go with either one. For mx, trail or any other riding where there's a higher probability of wrecking or hitting something, an a-arm frame is recommended.