why are my carb boots already cracked?

eldreder

I got new carb boots from chariot when i got my reed cages and billet intakes, and i've had them on for about 3 months, probably less than 20 hours on the bike and the boots are already cracking. Im running pod filters as well.

has anyone else had this problem?

Any chance they have been sprayed with brake cleaner? I used to clean all the dirt/oil off the motor with brake cleaner till I learned that it dries and cracks seals and other things made of rubber. :shrugani: Other than that....No I've only heard of older stock boots cracking. Face it some of those stock parts like Carb boots, stators, flywheels, brake lines, motor mounts are getting a little on the old side. But a NEW set of boots should outlast at least a set of pistons. LOL.

Brake Cleaner, Carb Clean or even gasoline will soften the rubber. Then when you cinch the camps down you cut them. Doesnt matter if it is the cheap chineese boots or the genuine Mikuni boots that chariot uses. I usually keep a set of mikuni boots on hand. You can get them from Dennis Kirk for about 13-15 bucks each.

Do they use the mikuni boots? If not, there is your problem.

I cant conferm or deny but I have herd Chariot say they use Genuine Mikuni boots. I have had this same thing happen to mine and they are Mikuni boots. Any time you take the carbs off dont over tighten the clamps especially when the boots have had fuel or carb cleaner on them.

if you have a boost bottle, that will do it no problem. cold will wage hell on them, and the pods and tors cable boxes can put extra dynamic load/stress on them. degreaser can dry them out, which you could tell by playing with them and the whitening, but shouldn't hurt if you don't let it sit for too long. i would say that minor surface cracking is normal from my experience, but not deeper cracks, wthout reason

i dont think they were genuine mikuni, because they said they were for an artic cat on the packaging. i found that very strange.

i'm not sure how deep the cracks are, but i will look and see

also no boost bottle

Edited by eldreder

lol, if they are factory arctic cat intakes, then yes, they are mikuni. it's just a different mounting flange than the banshee. i missed where you said it was aftermarket intakes, so nevermind the boost bottle comment. it's just like most sno-go's used the same mikuni carbs, thought they are all different makes. at least now you know where you can source new intake rubbers in a pinch