Most likely cause of spark on one side....

Judge1

and very intermittent on the other. One side seems to be solid spark and the other only sparks once every 5 or 6 kicks. The stator and cdi are origional on a 2000 and the coil is 2 years old, flywheel brand new.

Help. I have spent a fortune rebuilding this pile of shit and can't ride it!

Try switching the plug wires and see it the problem switchs sides. I'm guessing it's more than likely the coil. If you have someone with a running banshee see if you can use there's to test it.

Try switching the plug wires and see it the problem switchs sides. I'm guessing it's more than likely the coil. If you have someone with a running banshee see if you can use there's to test it.

Do you mean removing the wire from the coil and then switch them or do you mean switch the plugs?

oh, by your comment in the other thread, i assumed you already posted and ohmed the coil. do so. first with the caps on the wires, then with them removed. you should be getting about 6kohms from just the coil secondaries. if you don't get a reading to either of the primaries, from the secodaries, that is ok, some don't, and don't need to. i believe you should be gatting a reading to the mouning bolt, which would be half the wire-to-wire reading one either wire to the mounting bolt. ohm the caps, too. they should be 5k caps, but could be 5, or zero ohm caps, in which case you should be running resistor plugs. i doubt it's your coil, but could either be the wires, or caps. if you get a bad reading off the wires, carefully unclip them at the couil and pull strait out, and test the prongs in the coil itself. don't forget to test the meter first.

Please don't tell me it was this easy!!! I had the resistor plugs in the bike and pulled those out and put in the b8es and it fired right up, spark on both sides. Will using resistor plugs on a stock coil cause probelms? The stock coil and caps have resistor built in don't they? I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it keeps running.

Edited by Judge1

generally, no. you should still have strong enough spark to fire through both resistor caps, and the plug resistors. either the resistor plugs were bad, or you still have a developing issue, imho. then again, the one plug could have a cracked insulator, firing through the ceramic to the outter nut, which i have seen plenty of times