marvin shaw coilover adjustment?

chrisp250r

i have marvin shaw coils on my bike and the front ones are too long and making my bike sit higher than i like, i dont see any way to adjust them and they are so big around that i can put a lowering kit on the front without the spring hitting the a arm. here are some pics. my shock is the first pic, and the second one i found on google. is there any way to get my shock adjusted like the one in the second pic?????

this is mine, notice how low the upper spring plate is, which is holding the bike up high

(mine has 6 machined ribs above the spring plate)

2011-11-08_20-03-16_294.jpg

this is a pic of one that i found on google, same shock just adjusted differently notice that the top plate is higher and this will let the bike sit lower

(this one has no ribs above top plate this shock is as short as it could possibly be)

coilover.jpg

• 1 month later...

i think the only way to properly lower your bike is to get shorter shocks. if there is a way to move that plate, i would think it would just make your shocks a lot softer. which would lower your bike when you sit on it, but it would be really "squishy." i am looking at getting some marvin shaw coilovers, how do you like yours? i have never ridden any. if you are looking ot get rid of these, let me know. I might be interested.

i compressed the spring and there was a cir clip type thing holding the spring plate, so i moved it up a few notches then when i let it go the pressure inside the shock was holding the bike up and the spring did not have tension so i moved the clip back down some to get tension back on the spring and i let some of the pressure out of the shock, they are the right length now but im going to have to put some of the pressure back in them. as far as the ride quality im not impressed with them that much im very happy with my rear marvin coilover but the fronts always seemed kinda stiff to me, but now that i have done this to them idk how they will be they are pretty soft. i will post and let you know in a week or two after i get to ride

i think you are right i will most likely have to send them off to be fixed now, or i may just get some hillshooters. but i would have had to send them in anyway to get the length corrected and atleast now i know how they work

i been waiting on you to chime in matt, how much would you charge me to fix these things?

I actually don't work on Shaws, homie, for a number of reasons, but the most common reason is parts availability. Shaw, for some reason, doesn't like to stock (or sell) parts to repair their shocks.

And the second, is if THEY can even repair them in house, they do them for so cheap, that I can't possibly compete. A lot of times they will send you your shocks back, and say parts are no longer available, so it's a risk.