Any tips ?

poroy

Hi guys. i'm actually looking throught the internet to buy my first banshee ! I had a honda 300ex when i was 16 and sold it 1 week ago (i'm 18). So i'm looking for something stronger to handle my friends bikes. But I dont know much about this atv...what should I look for when i'll go try one ? I heard that banshees had more engine failure then all other brands but i want a 2 stroke ! So i'd like some advice..that way i'm not buying a bike with a broken engine ! Thank you very much ! and wow nice forum !

Hi guys. i'm actually looking throught the internet to buy my first banshee ! I had a honda 300ex when i was 16 and sold it 1 week ago (i'm 18). So i'm looking for something stronger to handle my friends bikes. But I dont know much about this atv...what should I look for when i'll go try one ? I heard that banshees had more engine failure then all other brands but i want a 2 stroke ! So i'd like some advice..that way i'm not buying a bike with a broken engine ! Thank you very much ! and wow nice forum !

If I were you, with the limited experience you have (no fault in that, just the reality) I would look for something that is as close to stock as I could find. This way you can learn the little things first without having to immediately tear into the top end or transmission because some clown before you jacked with it.

You can learn the basics and move into engine mods and such as you feel comfortable and can afford them.

As far as the reliability, it won't take you long on here to learn that our bikes are only as reliable as the amount of maintenance given to them. Many of us have several seasons on the same top end, even as much as 8 or 9! Now, once you start building them bigger with more torque and HP the little things start to matter more. You have to be accurate with your work or you can have premature failures. But a well built engine can very well last a very long time.

SP

If I were you, with the limited experience you have (no fault in that, just the reality) I would look for something that is as close to stock as I could find. This way you can learn the little things first without having to immediately tear into the top end or transmission because some clown before you jacked with it.

You can learn the basics and move into engine mods and such as you feel comfortable and can afford them.

As far as the reliability, it won't take you long on here to learn that our bikes are only as reliable as the amount of maintenance given to them. Many of us have several seasons on the same top end, even as much as 8 or 9! Now, once you start building them bigger with more torque and HP the little things start to matter more. You have to be accurate with your work or you can have premature failures. But a well built engine can very well last a very long time.

SP

Ok thanks but what about if I need to rebuild the engine...how much doese that cost ? and the day i'll buy my banshee should I go to a store andask for a tune up ? Could be a good idea ???

If i were you, i would look for a stock banshee with after market pipes. Pipes can be expensive. Besides that i agree with everyone else. find a stock one that you can modify and learn on your own with a clymers manual and this site.

well it depends on what needs to be rebuilt in your bike.....if its just a simple top end (it should be unless someone did something retarted to jack your motor)... its roughly $175 for wiseco pro-lite pistons, approximately $45 a jug to bore adn hone, about $20 for gaskets and $13 for a head gasket.

long and short is you can rebuild them for around $300-350. and that rebuild can go a LONG way depending how you treat it and maintain it.........buddies got 6 years on his right now and he rides hard (but uses quality synthetic oil) and his old dirt bike had almost 11 years on its top end....

Ok thanks but what about if I need to rebuild the engine...how much doese that cost ? and the day i'll buy my banshee should I go to a store andask for a tune up ? Could be a good idea ???

A tune up can be anything from just new spark plugs, to new plugs, and adjusting, cleaning, and re-jetting the carbs. Don't worry, Banshees are easy to work on, and you might as well learn to work on your own stuff now. Its way cheaper that way, and Ive come to trust my own work more than some motorcycle shop (not counting racing shops that specialize, like the forum vendors here). You get a great feeling of satisfaction after yopu dio the research, readuing, and work yourself. We will help you through the process. Im new and Ive alreadyy done lots of upgrades and carb re-jetting, etc. with no problems. Just make sure you buy the cleanest, closest to stock (aftermarket pipes are a good option) Banshee that you can afford. Don't but a POS, it will cost you more money and headaches in the long run. Good Luck and keep us posted.

PS- You will luv the Banshee... they are awesome bikes!