Broken tabs in head

dr1ver9

I just got a Chariot cool head. I bought it used and after getting the product I noticed that the tabs inside the head that are used to line up the domes are bent down. Someone must have forced the domes down inside the head to cause this. I can't bend them back because they are already cracked and I'm afraid they will just break off completely if I bend them back.

My question is can I still use this head? The design of the domes seems to not be affected by position. Once everything is bolted down I don't see how the dome would be able to spin. Why are they there? Does it have to do with the spark plug? To keep the dome from spinning when installing the spark plug?

I bought it from a member on this site and was unaware of this flaw. Just trying to decide whether to try and get my money back.

Any input would be great and thank you for your time.

i personally would get my money back.if the tab breaks and goes into ur water pump impeller and wipes it out,u will overheat,blow motor,u know.i mean,i "could" happen.sounds like someone didnt know they had a lil notch in the head and domne to where they just drop in.must have not been lined up and forced it.

The little tabs are used to line the domes up and prevent spinning when you put the plugs in. I would work with the seller and try and get a refund. If that doesn't work, try and work with chariot and see if they can help you out any way. They are good to deal with. I use a lot of their products.

I brought my chariot coolhead used & it arrived in the same condition as yours with 21cc domes already installed. I didnt notice the tabs we're bent until I changed the domes outs. I have not had any issues with mines. It works perfectly fine, but I was upset when I noticed that the tabs we're bent. If you can get a refund you should. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by 252wheelieking

i dont know if they changed the design, but my chariot head has those locating nubs machined into the head, to damage or break them would require heaps of effort ?

if you can put the dome in, and spin it into place and it locks it, id say its fine to use.

i put the domes in the head then lower the head complete onto the block.

i dont know if they changed the design, but my chariot head has those locating nubs machined into the head, to damage or break them would require heaps of effort ?

if you can put the dome in, and spin it into place and it locks it, id say its fine to use.

i put the domes in the head then lower the head complete onto the block.

X2, I run a Chariot head and would imagine it would take alot to bend those.

Do you have any pics?

X2, I run a Chariot head and would imagine it would take alot to bend those.

Do you have any pics?

He has our first model head which had less beefy tabs. I never imagined that someone would force a dome in the head so that they bent that tab. When we heard of that happening we changed the design. Our current model will withstand TNT!!

Jerry

Maybe they were lined up properly but got miss aligned when installing it. It wouldnt take very much torque of a wrech tighting down the nuts to bend the finger. I doubt any one would bend the tabs putting the domes in the head, but tighting down the head with miss aligned domes could happen a lot easier.

Edited by jbooker82

Maybe they were lined up properly but got miss aligned when installing it. It wouldnt take very much torque of a wrech tighting down the nuts to bend the finger. I doubt any one would bend the tabs putting the domes in the head, but tighting down the head with miss aligned domes could happen a lot easier.

I agree.

Well.. I had one of the first edition heads also.. The problem is that the domes dont just drop in, even when properly aligned.. They needed to be pressed in cuz they fit too tight. So if they wern't properly lined up when pressing in the domes.. the tabs will get bent. I'm pretty sure I emailed you Jerry about the issue.

I tested this all out on the work bench last night and it seems like the head will still work like Jerry said in a PM.

I got the domes in and yes they don't just drop in, I had to press them in. So I can see now how bending these tabs happens by getting them misaligned and then bolting on the head.

I had the head in a vise and screwed a spark plug in so I could watch and see if the dome spun. I got the spark plug tight and there never was any rotation.

Shame on me for not reserching this more before I purchased as I would have rather had the new design head. I also should have got more detailed pictures but probably wouldn't have know what to look for anyway since this is my first coolhead. The pictures I saw looked fine.

Shame on the seller for not disclosing this information and calling this a "nice piece". He has yet to return my PM's but it has only been two days so I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I would like to get my money back and get Jerry's new design but if I don't at least this one will still work so I didn't get burned too bad.

Thanks for everyones help. Sometimes you should just buy new...

Well.. I had one of the first edition heads also.. The problem is that the domes dont just drop in, even when properly aligned.. They needed to be pressed in cuz they fit too tight. So if they wern't properly lined up when pressing in the domes.. the tabs will get bent. I'm pretty sure I emailed you Jerry about the issue.

I believe you did and thanks always for insights and concerns. The only heads that will have a tight fitting dome is chromed heads. That is only part of the time because chroming is not to exact thicknesses. If people are not using our dome or a pro design dome then you may have poorly made domes that the o.d. is not held to size and in tolerance. Not to say that other brand domes are not quality but the tolerances may be too much and the dome slightly oversize even when fitting in a pro design head.